What's new

Asus RT-N66U automatic reboot if no internet - how to

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

QlimaxWarex

New Around Here
Hi,

how can I setup to router automaticaly reboot itselft if no internet access?
I have connection over WAN and if connection is droped there's no internet, but when I reboot router internet setup itself as normal.

Using latest version of Merlin.

Thank you

That sounds abnormal to me...try resetting to defaults and manually restore only the essential settings.

I also had the same question. Sometimes after power failures , Internet connection is not immediately restored and the router hangs and need a reboot. After the reboot , internet is restored without issues. If somehow we could setup the router to reboot itself on a specific event ( let's say when internet connection is lost for more than 10 minutes) that could be a nice feature for those who need it

I also run Merlin on 2x AC68u

This has never been an issue for me even though we get fairly frequent power failures of varying duration and my internet service resets on its own non-schedule. The router always comes back. Whether it is something to do with my router or firmware, I just don't know. I have an older(4 + years) RT-N66U with Shibby/TomatoUSB 138 firmware which I have kept up to date from the beginning. It

Returning back to the topic. Yesterday night there was another power failure and upon power restore the router didn't connect to Internet. Is there any way to make it reboot if no internet for 5 minutes?

I really can't speak to the factory firmware...have never used it...but TomatoUSB/Shibby has always obtained a valid IP and just worked after a power failure. Try it. I've been using http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-AC/138-MultiWAN/tomato-RT-N66U_RT-AC6x--138-AIO-64K.zip with no problems. Be sure to erase the NVRAM contents (do not try to use old configuration file) and depending on the old firmware, you may have to change the unzipped file name from .trx to .bin...same thing but some firmwares don't understand .trx. If that does not solve the problem, there may be something bad in your RT-N66U.

If you don't know how to install open-source firmware, google for one of the tutorials on installing Tomato.

Returning back to the topic. Yesterday night there was another power failure and upon power restore the router didn't connect to Internet. Is there any way to make it reboot if no internet for 5 minutes?

I have experience something similar with weird behaviors on my router had to do a factory reset.... and poof everything worked flawlessly..... but I never had problem with isp doing maintenance rebooting my cable modem and the router can't access the internet on my RT-N66U

Not a direct solution for you but some thing you can explore.
Don't remember if the Asus firmware is capable, but in the merlin and probably other.... you can turn on JFFS and have a basic shell script run on a cron job every 5 minutes maybe or 10.... maybe to do a ping to your internet gateway and / dns, and reboot or re-start on your internet side DHCP client if no response from your gateway after x number of tries (some one more expert can point you to that command to use)? dunno how elaborate of a scheme you want it.... something I found recently is they they stored parameters in that nvrams...

nvram show | grep -i wan

and see where they stored those stuff...
and you can schedule a cron job to run your script with cru command to do a reboot or re-lease on your internet DHCP client?