What's new

asus rt-n66u blocks Windows Network Discovery for Wireless Clients only?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GSmith

New Around Here
Greetings!

We recently purchased an Asus rt-n66u wireless router for our business to replace a Linksys E1200 that was too small for our needs.

The rt-n66u provides great speed, and it handles DHCP needs for our wired and wireless devices just fine (I'd say about a total of 30-35 devices combined between wired and wireless).

But, since we installed it, several of the wireless laptops (various manufacturers- most running Windows 7 and one Windows 8) have had issues connecting to wired PC's on the network.

Specifically, they will lose connection to our Windows 2003 file server (wired), and/or they will lose connection to a Windows 7 PC that hosts our Quickbooks database (wired).

Sometimes, restarting both the laptop and the Quickbooks PC (or the Windows 2003 server- whichever they have a problem connecting to) will grant the user access. Usually, though, when that happens, someone else might lose their connection to the desired machine.

If we try to map a drive, we get the typical "This device name is already in use" or the Windows networking on the wireless device cannot find the desired PC at all.

Anyone connecting wired to wired does not have issues. When we connected the laptops to the network with a network cable, the issues go away.

We didn't have these issues with the Linksys (it had other issues, but no one had an issue connecting to the file server or the QB host PC), so I have to assume it has something to do with the Wireless LAN configuration with the asus rt-n66u.

I tried lowering the lease time on IP's in case we were getting conflicts with employees coming in and out of the building with their phones, but that didn't help.

Also, our guest network on the asus rt-n66u seems to keep turning itself off. I've gone into the router twice in the last month or so and found it disabled.

My firmware is the latest version (according to the router's self-check), so I don't know what to do. There's no point in having a new wireless router if we can't function wirelessly.

Any ideas? Should I not have us on 5GHz?

Thanks!