What's new

Asus RT-N66U destroying speed test

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Duemarch

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
Just upgraded Comcast to Blast (250 Mbps download speed capability). Below are speed test results (ethernet vs wireless connection).

Connected ethernet to Asus router:
249.9 Mbps download speeds

Connected wireless to Asus router:
30.9 Mbps (download)

That is a significant decline in speed. Note: I removed all devices off network except for 2 printers & laptop to conduct speed test.

The Wireless router I have is Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight Double 450Mbps Dual N Band Router. Is it time for upgrade or is this larger issue such as competing wireless networks in my area (live in condo community)?

thanks in advance
Carl

You need to provide information about the wireless connection you're testing over. 2.4GHz or 5GHz? Bandwidth settings? B, G, N or AC? distance? client device type? etc., etc.

The N66U can do 450Mbps with the right device and settings.

You need to provide information about the wireless connection you're testing over. 2.4GHz or 5GHz? Bandwidth settings? B, G, N or AC? distance? client device type? etc., etc.

The N66U can do 450Mbps with the right device and settings.

Dell laptop uses Intel Centrino Wireless N 2230 (but weirdly only supports single band 2.4 GHZ even though it shows Radio Devices Supports of 802.11n, 802.11b, 802.11g in cmd command). Distance is 18 feet thru 1 wall.

Dell laptop uses Intel Centrino Wireless N 2230 (but weirdly only supports single band 2.4 GHZ even though it shows Radio Devices Supports of 802.11n, 802.11b, 802.11g in cmd command). Distance is 18 feet thru 1 wall.
Then 30.9 Mbps doesn't sound too unreasonable for that device under those conditions.

Check what the physical link speed is for the 2230's adaptor under "Status". It's probably something like 72.2Mbps. You can also check it on the router under System Log > Wireless Log.

Then 30.9 Mbps doesn't sound too unreasonable for that device under those conditions.

Check what the physical link speed is for the 2230's adaptor under "Status". It's probably something like 72.2Mbps. You can also check it on the router under System Log > Wireless Log.

If I upgraded wireless card to dual band usb wireless network adapter (5 GHz capability) because I will likely upgrade laptop in next year and don't want to mess with installing new internal wireless card. What could I expect to get Mbps up to? According to Asus specs its capable of 450 Mbps for n band.

Hard to say. Most of the speed gained from using the 5GHz band is from being able to use AC instead of N. As your router will still be N-only this will severely limit the maximum possible speed. The 5GHz band also has less range and is blocked more by solid objects (e.g. doors).

USB wireless adaptors usually only have one or maybe 2 antennas. So this will limit the maximum possible N-only speed (under perfect conditions) to 150Mbps or 300Mbps respectively. Expect about half that in real life.

Hello,
Just upgraded Comcast to Blast (250 Mbps download speed capability). Below are speed test results (ethernet vs wireless connection).

Connected ethernet to Asus router:
249.9 Mbps download speeds

Connected wireless to Asus router:
30.9 Mbps (download)

That is a significant decline in speed. Note: I removed all devices off network except for 2 printers & laptop to conduct speed test.

The Wireless router I have is Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight Double 450Mbps Dual N Band Router. Is it time for upgrade or is this larger issue such as competing wireless networks in my area (live in condo community)?

thanks in advance
Carl

Yes it's time to upgrade your router...i was getting same speeds 30mb on 2 4 ghz clients with comcast 150 blast on n66u.

Got an ac1900p initially and returned it for an ac86u for newer specs. Current speeds (5ghz) on Note 9 Tab s2 are 180mb down 15 up consistent.

Upgraded firmware to Merlin and router has been running solid for 8 days now :)

I purchased Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (model R7000). I am upgrading laptop wireless cards to AC technology. My only other problem is I don't think my printers have AC technology. Is there way to have both routers working - N66U for printers & AC1900 for everything else?

I purchased Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (model R7000). I am upgrading laptop wireless cards to AC technology. My only other problem is I don't think my printers have AC technology. Is there way to have both routers working - N66U for printers & AC1900 for everything else?

sure, and the best part (assuming new router means new ssid/pwd and the old one stayed the same) is that you won't have to set up your printers (multiple??) to connect to it:
log into the GUI of the n66 and rather than it being configured as a router, make it an Access Point (AP). I can't recall if asus' firmware automatically turns off DHCP when you do that or not.
the key here, for you to use it as an AP/repeater, is to have it wired to the new router, LAN port to LAN port. If you go into the yellow WAN port on the n66, this won't work

Plenty of YouTube Material for you to reference, so get to it. Good luck, have fun!

I can't recall if asus' firmware automatically turns off DHCP when you do that or not.
Yes, it does.

the key here, for you to use it as an AP/repeater, is to have it wired to the new router, LAN port to LAN port. If you go into the yellow WAN port on the n66, this won't work
No need to do that for an ASUS router in the Access Point mode. The WAN port works well as an input in that configuration.

Yes, it does.

No need to do that for an ASUS router in the Access Point mode. The WAN port works well as an input in that configuration.

There are the first 2 new things I’ve learned today. Awesome, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk