What's new

Asus RT-N66U Disable LAN Port(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Arthur156

New Around Here
Hello,
Using the latest MERLIN firmware on my Asus router.
I was wondering, is it possible to disable LAN port(s) through the software (and also to enable then again)?
I use only 1 port on the Asus router and that one goes to a switch.
I want to prevent that someone puts a ethernetcable in one of the LAN ports and get access to the network and/or internet.
After some google-ing, i found that there are routers that can do that, so called 'Lan Binding', where you can check/uncheck LAN 1, LAN2, LAN3 and LAN4. If you uncheck a port, it does not work anymore.
This is done, with the web-based page of the router.
In managed switches it is called port switching. (ie in TP-Links switches).
LAN binding.JPG

Using the latest MERLIN firmware on my Asus router.
I was wondering, is it possible to disable LAN port(s) through the software (and also to enable then again)?
No, there is no such option in the Asus/Merlin web interface. Maybe have a look at Tomato/OpenWRT/DD-WRT.

Edit: You could probably "hack it" from the router's command line if you're prepared to write some custom scripts.

I don't know if this is possible, but instead of disabling them, you can put them on a separate vlan or dhcp scope so that those connections lead to nowhere.

If you kill the unused LAN ports on the router you still have potential security issues. If someone has access to your switch they can plug into an used port on the switch or unplug a cable and then plug into the open port.

Also if someone can get to your router there is nothing stopping them from unplugging the cable to the switch and then plugging their device in. If they want to be crafty they could plug another switch into the port where the original switch was connected and then plug the cable to the original switch and their device into this switch.

If your response is that you would see the switch they could add the second switch at the end point of any of the cables coming from the switch.