What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.3657

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mav

Occasional Visitor
Does anybody know what has been updated/fixed in this release?

Has anybody tried it?

I see you have to do a reset when installing :eek:

I would guess it is the 'fixed' 3602 release with all world region users able to install.

For a changelog, look at the notes for the 3602 release.

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RTN66U/HelpDesk_Download/

I don't know what changed between 3626 and 3657 (no source code yet), but I can say that between 3602 and 3626, the only changes were the fixed 5 GHz support, and work on a new setting to allow a specific Bangladesh ISP to work with the router (TTL adjustment). There were very little changes otherwise between these two.

I installed the 3657 release. Sofar so good.
With 5 GHz set to Auto channel and "Auto select channel including DFS channels disabled" (default) it no longer seems to select a channel above 48. That is at least a difference compared to 3602.
As mentioned before: 3602 seems to have added DFS support to the RT-N66U, 3657 seems to continue this, at least it shows more then the 4 (four) non-DFS channels on 5 GHz as it was before.
Give it a little time to see what it really brings.

Hopefully it will fix ASUS issue with transmitting power when 100%=80mW for Europe :(

Hopefully it will fix ASUS issue with transmitting power when 100%=80mW for Europe :(
As far as I can see there is no change in output power (speaking for the Netherlands).

I don't believe there is much intelligence behind the region specific settings.
I guess Asus sets the router to "one size" fits all for the power settings.
Also the for Europe new 5GHz channel expansion is done the cheap way, such that it suits Europe and the US (channels allowed in Europe but not in the US are left out, and channels allowed in the US but not in Europe are also left out).
Maybe the source code does shed a light on above.

Does the stock firmware still suffer from this issue?

You'll have to try. I don't run the stock firmware. ;)

Check the content of /etc/dnsmasq.conf, see if the maximum number of lease does show 253 (the expected value), or some other odd number.

You'll have to try. I don't run the stock firmware. ;)

Check the content of /etc/dnsmasq.conf, see if the maximum number of lease does show 253 (the expected value), or some other odd number.

I don't use stock either but loaded 3657 to test as others may want to know.

dhcp-lease-max=253

I guess this means Asus fixed the issue.

As far as I can see there is no change in output power (speaking for the Netherlands).

I don't believe there is much intelligence behind the region specific settings.
I guess Asus sets the router to "one size" fits all for the power settings.
Also the for Europe new 5GHz channel expansion is done the cheap way, such that it suits Europe and the US (channels allowed in Europe but not in the US are left out, and channels allowed in the US but not in Europe are also left out).
Maybe the source code does shed a light on above.
You are right. I noticed that i can only use channels from 36 up to 48 on my router, while in fact i should be allowed to use all the way up to 64.
Maybe it's is because RT-N66U lacks DFS/TPC?
I am not sure it has these features.

You are right. I noticed that i can only use channels from 36 up to 48 on my router, while in fact i should be allowed to use all the way up to 64.
Maybe it's is because RT-N66U lacks DFS/TPC?
I am not sure it has these features.
Since the previous update more 5GHz channels are added, at least for Europe. As these include DFS channels, I suppose the RT-N66U does now support DFS.
As can be seen below, the channels 120, 124 and 128 are missing, although allowed in Europe.

[EDIT]
This may explain the lack of channels 120, 124 and 128:
http://wifinigel.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/5ghz-missing-3-channels-in-europe.html
In short: these channels require 10 mins waiting time in the DFS mechanism, were the other DFS channels require 1 minute.

Attachments

• dfs.png
    dfs.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 886
Last edited:
My RT-N66U only allows me to use channels 36. 40. 44. and 48.

My RT-N66U only allows me to use channels 36. 40. 44. and 48.
I do see these additional channels since the upgrade to stock firmware 3602 and the same in
Your signature mentions you use a Merlin branch firmware, I do not know how that follows the stock firmware.

I do see these additional channels since the upgrade to stock firmware 3602 and the same in
Your signature mentions you use a Merlin branch firmware, I do not know how that follows the stock firmware.

376.48 is based off 376_2769.

I current use firmware from my signature (asus stock 376.1071) and everything works perfect . I only miss “Name” field in DHCP static reservation page... What is Merlin's build based or similar with my current FW, and what Merlin build is recommend to upgrade ? I don't want to upgrade Merlin build that has wi-fi range and throughput (ethernet and Wi-Fi) worse than my current FW even if it will security fix. Anyone try this new 376.3657 asus build over 376.1071?

I current use firmware from my signature (asus stock 376.1071) and everything works perfect . I only miss “Name” field in DHCP static reservation page... What is Merlin's build based or similar with my current FW, and what Merlin build is recommend to upgrade ? I don't want to upgrade Merlin build that has wi-fi range and throughput (ethernet and Wi-Fi) worse than my current FW even if it will security fix. Anyone try this new 376.3657 asus build over 376.1071?

Always use the latest for security reasons. The latest ASUS firmware works fine.