What's new

Asus RT-N66U - separate groups of devices to prevent them from seeing each other

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TimTam

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a Asus RT-N66U and would like to separate some devices from a group of other devices. I will prevent the devices in one group to access the devices in the other group.

I guess this has something with subnet mask to do? Am I right?

In the Setting menu under LAN there is a LAN IP page. There I can define the IP address of the router and a Subnet mask (currently set to: 255.255.255.0).

How do I use Subnet Mask to achieve what I am looking for (if Subnet Mask is the right way to go, that is...)?

Changing the subnet mask will not help you. If the devices in question are wireless then you can use a guest network to separate them from the rest of the LAN.

Hi, Tanks for your reply!

The guest network is a good idea, but does MAC filtering and manually assignment of IP addresses, network Service Filter etc. work on guest networks?

And btw, do you know the purpose of the subnet mask I mentioned in my first post?

The guest network is a good idea, but does MAC filtering and manually assignment of IP addresses, network Service Filter etc. work on guest networks?
I don't use stock Asus firmware so I'm guessing, but I'd expect manually assigned IP's to still work. I don't think there's an option for MAC filtering on the guest networks, you'd have to check on the router. Network services filter - no idea, again you'd have to check.

And btw, do you know the purpose of the subnet mask I mentioned in my first post?
The subnet mask sets the "size" of the subnet (or LAN). The default subnet allows for 254 devices to be connected at any one time. If that is not enough you can change the subnet mask.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!