What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - will it forward Wake On Lan packet to broadcast address?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andy_d

Regular Contributor
I'd like to set up my server to wake with a packet forward while I'm away from my apartment. Wondering if the Asus router allows it? If not, would it work with Merlin's firmware?

I'd like to set up my server to wake with a packet forward while I'm away from my apartment. Wondering if the Asus router allows it? If not, would it work with Merlin's firmware?

No, and allowing that is a bad idea. Use a VPN + WOL webpage, or AiCloud to remotely wake a computer.

No, and allowing that is a bad idea. Use a VPN + WOL webpage, or AiCloud to remotely wake a computer.

I'm curious as to why it's a bad idea?

For what it's worth, the way I did it with Merlin firmware was to:
1) Administration -> System -> Enable SSH, JFFS & format on first boot
2) Reboot router, SSH in
3) Create nat-start user script (see readme that comes with merlin firmware) in /jffs/scripts with the contents:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
arp -i br0 -s 192.168.1.254 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
4) Set the nat-start script as executable... i.e. chmod a+rx nat-start
5) Set up port forwarding through the GUI from 192.168.1.254 to ports 7 and/or 9.
6) Reboot router if necessary.

(Make sure to limit the DHCP allocation to .253 so it doesn't assign .254)
Insight was taken from this post:

Last edited:
I'm curious as to why it's a bad idea?

There is zero authentication involved. This is a security risk, plus I've seen a fair amount of people who decided to go ahead anyway, and came back complaining that their machine kept randomly waking up, thanks to random port scanners on the Internet.

I did stick with vpn waking and it works well enough. I see no reason to do it any other way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

There is zero authentication involved. This is a security risk, plus I've seen a fair amount of people who decided to go ahead anyway, and came back complaining that their machine kept randomly waking up, thanks to random port scanners on the Internet.

Fair enough, I'll look into the VPN way if I have issues with port scanners. Thanks. :)