What's new

Asus RT-N68U high cpu usage during game scan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nexy

Occasional Visitor
EDIT: AC68U, not N68U as per title, I can't change it.

I'll try to provide as much info here as I can, if I'm missing anything, please do let me know, but it should be somewhat self-explanatory.

The problem I'm having, when one of my games (Dark & Light), does a scan for unofficial servers, the CPU usage on the Asus (running Merlin 380.66_beta1-g7b22cbf - Need to update this, I'm aware) rockets up to 100%. The server responses are abysmally slow, and I only get 1/10th of all the servers that should be active. I only get a few hundred show up at best.

I then used a software VPN solution and re-ran the test. The server list loads almost immediately and I get roughly 2700 servers in the list.

Am I hitting a hardware limitation on the router, as Core1 hits 100% and Core2 remains low while I do a scan. Stop the scan, cpu usage drops back down to nominal values. On the software VPN (obviously this will only create a single stream of traffic so the router doesn't need to do the heavy lifting), everything's fine.

I have DDoS disabled under WAN, so it's not that, I don't think.

Also, during a game server scan, the web ui of the router becomes unresponsive (although if I'm on the home page the CPU graph does go up, as seen attached).

I've attached a screenshot of the CPU graph, I'm just wondering if I hit a H/W limit on the number of sessions the game tries to create, or it's a software problem.

Attachments

• CPU usage1.png
    CPU usage1.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 359
Also, to confirm, this testing is done via Wired, not wireless. Reproducible 100% of the time. Run a server scan, 100% Core1 usage.

EDIT: Or, am I hitting a windows limit on the number of connections I can have open, since the box will be pinging hundreds of servers at the same time, and the 100% cpu usage on the router is just a coincidence?

EDIT2: Actually, I ran a speedtest.net test on my mobile to rule out Windows, during the test, I was getting 200mbps, which then plummeted, and my upload speed was far lower than it should be too. I understand that scanning for games should use some resources, but not cut down the download speed to miniscule levels on another device.

I uploaded a picture of traffic usage. In this picture, I ran a speedtest, and then ran a second speedtest while doing a game server scan right after the spike. You'll see, the traffic was pitiful, I got 1mbps down, 0.02mbps up.

I am almost certain the issue lies with the router.

Attachments

• Captur.PNG
    Captur.PNG
    155.6 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Hi Colin.

No, I don't use a VPN client, nor server (on the router). I even tried disabling QoS in case that was a likely culprit. No dice. Still kills the internet for all connected devices while the game scans for servers. I think it's a unique connections per second problem, but I don't know how to track that. Netstat from the router maybe?

Disable firewall packet logging if you had enabled it, or it will overload your cpu.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RMerlin,

This was bang on the money. This fixed it, appreciate all the help folks!

I'll go back and turn QoS back on :)