What's new

Asus rt68 w merlin alternative

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robint

Occasional Visitor
I am having a very frustrating time setting up an IP cam system for home. The problem lies with the infamous DHCP and my need (using Onvif Agent RTSP viewr) to set static IP addresses for the cameras. Ive been thru all the pundits advice But what no one wants to admit is thatAsus has a well known long standing problem with how it handles what should be a simple procedure.
Following the instructions I got to LAN/DHCP and call out the relevant devices below for manual assignment then apply settings and go to main Network Map only to find that the list is not porperly updated, even after refresh. IPs dont show updates, worse still I found that it can get wrong mac address (HOW?)
Furthermore it wont display the new status of IPs as "manual" rather than DHCP

Sometime I have left it over nnight and some corrections appear. but it all hit and miss
I was advised to use Advance IP scanner to find out what really going on and it does indeed show up errors but I havent found a way to correct these errors in the router.

This Asus unreliabilty of display has been apparent for years and has never been fixed.

I daresay the Asus works fine if left on auto assignment DHCP from the server.

BTW Im not doing anything other than using my asus to manage my cameras.

Also I am not very network savvy but ok PC wise. My needs are simple (in analog terms) but its like a demon keeps changing the wiring connections and I dont know why

Can anyone suggest another router that doesnt seem to have this problem

Can anyone suggest another router that doesnt seem to have this problem
Do you actually want a different router or just a different firmware for your existing router (as your title suggests). If it's the latter you could try FreshTomato. Or just keep using your current router as-is and just ignore the Network Map Client List.

Last edited:
Well I didnt want to go into a drastic firmware change I might end up with a brick. Does tomato solve this problem? I see it has Arp binding, but remember I am a network noob. I have barely got comfortable with asus gui
I think my router is a Linksys badged clone with a Merlin upgrade (it was cheap £30

I thought there might be a simpler N router for this simple task - say TP link wr 841n - these are £5ea

I cant do something like switch off DHCP - thats a disaster, slightest change in network use (like using my phone to wifi freezes the system and I have to factory reset.

Following your link it seems Asus rtn66u might be ok
68k nvram is the build K26rt-n or ac of significance?
Asus RT-N66U MIPS‑R2 600 1 1Gbps 2 - N900 32MB 64KB 256MB K26RT‑N or K26RT‑AC

I posted this in the wron slot

Flashing my existing badged EA6900 is red flagged too risky

Guide: Flash Linksys EA6300v1, EA6400, EA6500v2, EA6700, EA6900v1.0/1.1 with Tomato

How to flash Linksys EA6300v1, EA6400, EA6500v2, EA6700, EA6900v1.0/1.1 with Tomato. The EA6300v1 uses the same firmware as EA6400 since the routers are exactly the same. WARNING: If anything goes wrong this can brick your router and I will not be held responsible if that happens. You're doing...

www.linksysinfo.org

so pls advise alternative.

Looks like I should get a compatible router from their list and take a punt (£20) say

I think my router is a Linksys badged clone with a Merlin upgrade (it was cheap £30
You are using a illegal firmware on your non-Asus router. It is completely unsupported by Merlin. So it's not surprising you are having issues.

If you want you use the Asus or Merlin firmware you must be using supported Asus hardware.

Merlin - illegal ? I didnt know that? It seems to be widely used upgrade on asus basic gui
I understood my router was a linksys bdged Asus router 68u hardware?

is that so terrible?

Merlin - illegal ? I didnt know that? It seems to be widely used upgrade on asus basic gui
I understood my router was a linksys bdged Asus router 68u hardware?

is that so terrible?
Merlin is not illegal - on Asus hardware. Read the link I posted. Running Asus or Merlin firmware on non-Asus hardware is illegal because it violates licencing agreements.

It doesn't matter whether the Linksys hardware is essentially the same as the Asus hardware. Linksys hasn't licenced the proprietary code that is included in the Asus firmware.

Last edited:
Merlin it not illegal - on Asus hardware. Read the link I posted. Running Asus or Merlin firmware on non-Asus hardware is illegal because it violates licencing agreements.

It doesn't matter whether the Linksys hardware is essentially the same as the Asus hardware. Linksys hasn't licenced the proprietary code that is included in the Asus firmware.
I didnt know any of this and bought in good faith thinking it was Linksys badged asus 66 hardware - looks identical

I'm confused. We've jumped from rt68 (RT-AC68U?), to a rebadged Linksys, to the RT-N66U. What is the OP's *current* router!

Still we are agreed I was sold a pup and should move to a genuine product (have you never been conned with a clone on Ebay?). So I should move to Tomato, any suggestion for a budget N router from their compatibility list, many different makes to choose from bewildering for a noob

I'm confused. We've jumped from rt68 (RT-AC68U?), to a rebadged Linksys, to the RT-N66U. What is the OP's *current* router!
Yes me too. I seem to have a Linksys badged EA 1900 Asus WRT AC68U router with a merlin firmware upgrade. I think - looks like this might brick if I tried a Tomato ug
So I found a RTN66u that seems compatible with Tomato. I rather play with that off duty at least I wont loos all my cameras wobbly system totally.

so im just stumbling along here

Post a photo of the model sticker on your router. Right now everyone is confused as to what hardware you truly have in hand.

Flashing my existing badged EA6900 is red flagged too risky

This router works perfectly with FreshTomato. What makes flashing it risky in your case is the unknown bootloader someone flashed before you. If you don't know what to do, you'll need a new router or just live with what you already have there running.