What's new

Asus RT68u variable speeds on WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sober5

New Around Here
I just upgraded my internet connection to 1 gb fiber line, and I am getting weird speed fluctuations with my router (and only my router).

If I use Telus' equipment I get consistently get approx 1 gig up and appox 1 gig down. But when I use my router I get anything between 300 mb down and approximately 1 gb, but I consistently get approximately 1 gb.

Any idea what would be cuaisng this issue?

* QOS is disabled.
* CTF (Cut Through Forwarding) and FA (Flow Acceleration) accelerator are enabled.
* I am running th latest merlin firmware.

Are you talking about the 'original' RT-AC68U with the dual-core 800MHz cores?

What is it, 300Mbps to ~1Gbps or consistently ~1Gbps? Is this via a wired or wireless client device when you test?

When was the last time you did a full reset on the router, after flashing the firmware you want to use on it, without using a saved backup config file, and what specific firmware version are you running, today?

In my experience, the RT-AC68U is well past its prime for 1Gbps, symmetrical, connections.

Even the much more powerful RT-AC86U is overshadowed by the RT-AX68U for mere 600Mbps down/100Mbps up ISP speeds.

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

Are you talking about the 'original' RT-AC68U with the dual-core 800MHz cores?

What is it, 300Mbps to ~1Gbps or consistently ~1Gbps? Is this via a wired or wireless client device when you test?

When was the last time you did a full reset on the router, after flashing the firmware you want to use on it, without using a saved backup config file, and what specific firmware version are you running, today?

In my experience, the RT-AC68U is well past its prime for 1Gbps, symmetrical, connections.

Even the much more powerful RT-AC86U is overshadowed by the RT-AX68U for mere 600Mbps down/100Mbps up ISP speeds.

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode
Yes it is the original Rt-68u and this is over wired not wireless (wireless I get more consistent speeds but far slower).

The service I have is 1 GB down and 1 GB up. When I'm plugged into the modem I usually get 800-1 GB consistently. But when I'm plugged into the router, i consistently get 800 mb to 1 GB up. Download is usually either 250-350 mb or 800 to 1 GB (nothing else).

I am running 386.3.2, Merlin firmware. I think it's been years since I did a hard reset. I'm trying one now. Update: I think it's fixed with the reset.

Last edited:
Download is usually either 250-350 mb or 800 to 1 GB (nothing else).
The 250-300 Mbps is when HW acceleration is bypassed. Nobody knows all the things that can cause a bypass, but things like running over a port forward, running to a tun+ (VPN) interface and I think some udp chains will do the bypass.

I think the hard reset of the router fixed it. I have no idea but I'm consistently gett 950+ up/down for a day now.