What's new

ASUS RTAC56U - Cannot mount windows 10 samba share

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

makksi

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I' m struggling in the last days trying to mount some samba shares on my windows 10 laptop to the RTAC56U.
I need it because I want to run a rclone script to backup on my USB network storage some data from samba share.

Using the traditional command:

mount \\\\192.168.x.y\\Dir /mnt/win/Dir -t cifs -o "username=myname,password=mypassword")
when I Try to mount:
it returns

.....host is down

These are my trials:

1. I can ping successfully the host
2. I used the smbclient installed on my entware distribution and it can see the shares
3. The sytem log returns this message: "
Apr 20 00:19:38 kernel: CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 114 mid 1
Apr 20 00:19:38 kernel: CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 114 mid 2
4. I'm using the latest asuswrt merlin firmware for my router (384.6, which sigh is eol! very sorry about that, because I really really loved Rmerlin work ant those fantastic Asus router)

Not sure what else I can try to understand this issue

Thanks a lot

Possibly related to this:
Code:
384.14_2 (1-1-2020)
  - FIXED: Missing cifs kernel module

Thanks a lot. I really appreciated Merlin firmware and I did lots of customization and scripts on my router, so I 'm a little scared to do so big change, due to the fact that also the fork has been done long time ago before the latest RTAC56U version (384.6). Not sure that all the improvement from 374.43 to 384.6 I'm used to have been imported in John's formware

I think you will find that @john9527's firmware has vastly surpassed 384.6 in security and functionality. :)

v43.E6 was released just days ago, for example. :)

And running without issues for customers in Router and Bridge modes too. :)

I think you will find that @john9527's firmware has vastly surpassed 384.6 in security and functionality. :)

v43.E6 was released just days ago, for example. :)

And running without issues for customers in Router and Bridge modes too. :)
I concur @L&LD assessment in regards to the 56u, the only draw back is lack of adaptive QoS support, but that is not a deal breaker as the traditional QoS provides a lot of great options for customization.

This is the problem (I've just tested it).

If you enable the SMB 1.0 server on the Windows PC (and reboot) the mount command will work.

You are the man! Thanks a lot. It worked. I was struggling with issue since few days. Now I can go on with my scripts to backup stuff from my notebook to the NAS using rclone.
Thanks again. I really love the Asus routers!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!