What's new

Asus topology inaccurate?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

El Nebuloso

New Around Here
Hi -

Has anyone encountered the situation where they find the Asus software may be reporting inaccurate results on what devices are connected to which node?
For example, I have a laptop for which:
- the Asus web interface software reflects it connected to the node with MAC address FC:34:<etc>
- the Wifi Analyzer software running on the laptop shows it connected to the node with MAC address 7C:10:<etc>

The 7C node is much closer and makes more sense (relatively, given all the variables of placement, load and such involved - I am sitting very close to the 7C node).
When I told the Asus software to bind the laptop to 7C, it executed that, but seems to still ignore it, showing it connected to FC.
I generally ignore results from the ipad Asus app, but it does agree with the web interface and shows the signal strength at -51dBm while the Wifi Analyzer reports -39dBm

I find it very difficult to diagnose what I might want to change about the network when I'm not convinced it is giving me the right picture.

Thanks much.

Hi -

Has anyone encountered the situation where they find the Asus software may be reporting inaccurate results on what devices are connected to which node?
For example, I have a laptop for which:
- the Asus web interface software reflects it connected to the node with MAC address FC:34:<etc>
- the Wifi Analyzer software running on the laptop shows it connected to the node with MAC address 7C:10:<etc>

The 7C node is much closer and makes more sense (relatively, given all the variables of placement, load and such involved - I am sitting very close to the 7C node).
When I told the Asus software to bind the laptop to 7C, it executed that, but seems to still ignore it, showing it connected to FC.
I generally ignore results from the ipad Asus app, but it does agree with the web interface and shows the signal strength at -51dBm while the Wifi Analyzer reports -39dBm

I find it very difficult to diagnose what I might want to change about the network when I'm not convinced it is giving me the right picture.

Thanks much.

I find client connection information in the router webUI to often be incomplete, stale, and/or missing (like for node connections).

With my AiMesh, I can look at the wireless connection details on the client and know which AP it is connected to, distance/strength-wise. Sticky clients may need to restart to connect to the near/preferred AP.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!