What's new

Release ASUS TUF-AX5400 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21224 (2022/10/21)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nickie

Regular Contributor
ASUS TUF-AX5400 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21224
1. Supported WireGuard VPN server and client.
2. Supported VPN fusion. It can easily achieve VPN connection to network devices like Smart TV, Game consoles and without installing the VPN client software.
3. Supported new devices connection notification.
4. Supported connection diagnostic on the ASUS router app.
5. Supported Instant Guard 2.0 which helps easily invite family or friends to join the VPN connection.
6. Upgraded parental control and added reward, new scheduler for flexible setting
7. Fixed HTTP response splitting vulnerability. Thanks to Efstratios Chatzoglou, University of the Aegean.
8. Fixed status page HTML vulnerability. Thanks to David Ward.
9. Fixed CVE-2018-1160. Thanks to Steven Sroba.
10. Fixed cfg_server security issue.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 4bb83ca2804ccbdbec884d1ce86f42b7

link to download.

Last edited:
Nice. I have set up the Wireguard on a Router and chose Access Intranet Option. While the tunnel is working, I cannot access my USB attached HDD this way. Does anyone know what is wrong? Never had this problem with the OpenVPN and InstantGuard.

Last edited:
Nice. I have setup the Wireguard on a Router and chose Access Intranet Option. While the tunnel is working, I still cannot access my USB attached HDD this way. Does anyone know what is wrong? Never had this problem with the OpenVPN and InstantGuard.
Can't help you with that... Don't use wireguard or usb ...

Promising update. Clean install, and after 12 hours, the logs looks clean. I'll report back if something changes.

Last edited:
The firmware has the nomenclature "combo" in the file name. Is this firmware being used for multiple variants? Why did the size of the firmware double?

Not a problem (maybe?), but an observation. For 386 versions of the firmware, memory usage was fairly steady - even after weeks w/o rebooting (for my configuration around 58%). The new 388 firmware has jumped from 58% to 68% after 2ish days. Could be that 388 is more aggressive about memory usage.

Last edited:
this weekend I noticed something strange: while playing Minecraft with Whatsapp voice on, I kept getting disconnected from both Minecraft and Whatapp. Never had this happening. Did clean setup of all my mesh network (node is an AX55 but wasn't being connected to at the time), but didn't test again to check if the disconnects kept occurring (will test this weekend or so). Nevertheless, already had a Teams conference and everything went smooth. So, if people find issues with this firmware coming from the old 386, a clean install may be worthwhile.

Look at the firmware image itself. NOT ram on the router. The 388 firmware image from Asus 91.99 MBytes, while the old 386 images were all around 53.85 MBytes. Why would the firmware image double in size???

Good question… Chunky everything for 388.
The file name says COMBO. Not sure what Asus is doing in their content or compilation.

The file name says COMBO. Not sure what Asus is doing in their content or compilation.
Pure speculation. I wonder if in order to support the new features, they have duplicated components optimized for different configs.

Briefly going back to the RAM thing, my only concern is that IF it's a memory leak, it will eventually will fill up leading to crashes. If that happens, I'm going back to the latest 386 :)

The firmware has the nomenclature "combo" in the file name. Is this firmware being used for multiple variants? Why did the size of the firmware double?
Some routers have two different models that require different firmware due to hardware differences. This is the case for example with the RT-AC68U firmware which also includes a second firmware image for the RT-AC68U V4. So two images = twice the size.

Some routers have two different models that require different firmware due to hardware differences. This is the case for example with the RT-AC68U firmware which also includes a second firmware image for the RT-AC68U V4. So two images = twice the size.
That would make sense. Maybe they are releasing an updated version of the hardware.

Thus far (~2 days), outside the ballooning RAM use, everything is stable. Again, could be a feature, not a problem. I'll keep you all posted.

Last edited:
Decided to go back to 386. RAM use going from 58% to over 70% in less than 3 days makes me a bit nervous. Very basic settings, no external drive, no VPN, no AiProtection. I'll wait for the next 388...

Unless the router has crashed on you because of memory leak issues, you're worrying for nothing.

Let the OS handle the RAM (as it knows well how to do), and enjoy the rest.

Unless the router has crashed on you because of memory leak issues, you're worrying for nothing.

Let the OS handle the RAM (as it knows well how to do), and enjoy the rest.
Okay - I'll give it a longer try :)

Well, today I noticed free RAM at 78mb, nothing I’ve seen in previous firmwares. this after just 6 days of usage, while on other versions that router was on for more than a month with more than 100mb of free RAM being reported. On the xt8 thread on the 388 there have been s reports of routers crashing due to low memory… memory leak or change in the way free RAM is shown?

Well, today I noticed free RAM at 78mb, nothing I’ve seen in previous firmwares. this after just 6 days of usage, while on other versions that router was on for more than a month with more than 100mb of free RAM being reported. On the xt8 thread on the 388 there have been s reports of routers crashing due to low memory… memory leak or change in the way free RAM is shown?
We shall see - I plan to experimentally test this. I will run 388 for 2-3 weeks and we'll see what happens.

More speculation: Perhaps 386 didn't report cache size because free memory barely changed over time. Hard to believe the cache was just 1-3 MB after a month or two. Maybe 388 also includes the cache size in the free space calculation?

So far, 388 is very stable. As good as the April 2022 3.0.0.4.386.48664 firmware. The August update was unstable and the September one I didn't have time to do long-term testing.

on 388 youtube , tik tok facebook story pause and freezing. RAM usage also higher Alreardy downgrade back to 386.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!