What's new

Asus VPN - don't use for interent

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

evlo

Regular Contributor
I have two asus routers:
1. rt-ac1200+ - pptp server - wan interface has internet ipv4 address LAN 192.168.1.*
2. rt-ac66 b1 - pptp client - wan interface is in 10.* range :( LAN 192.168.0.*

When I connect form client to server it connects, but then all internet traffic on client device goes trough the server (which has super slow upload).

How to make it only use VPN for traffic to 192.68.1.* device and WAN for other traffic?

I assume you're using OEM firmware. What you need is the option to NOT change the default gateway to the VPN. But whether the OEM firmware offers that GUI option I don't know since I'm unfamiliar with it.

If it's not available. consider using OpenVPN instead and verifying it has this option.

That link is about PBR (policy based routing), which is NOT your current problem. PBR is about controlling which *source* IPs use the VPN vs. the WAN. Your problem involves controlling which gateway is used for accessing *destination* IPs, regardless which source IPs are making the attempt to reach those destination IPs.

When the VPN gets connected, it changes the default gateway from the WAN to the VPN. That's why *every* destination IP gets routed over the VPN. What you want/need is for the default gateway to NOT get changed to the VPN, but remain w/ the WAN. And then the only thing that would ever get sent over the VPN is any reference to the local network behind the VPN server.

The problem is affecting this change if you're using OEM firmware. For reasons of simplicity, OEM firmware is typically not very flexible, and limits your options.

well I could go to merlin firmware on client device, but I chose asus because until now it could do everything with default firmware and i'm not doing ddwrt, or god forbid openwrt again
So as far as I undertood it I would need to use metrics and force router to chose default gw to be wan, but still, I think lot of ppl must have faced this issue and expect behavior to use vpn for devices on vpn only.

I would appreciate if only users of asusWrt would comment.