What's new

Asus vs Merlin firmware on AC86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Besides tweaks to the software, is it more stable than official Asus firmware?

Thoughts on both?

Yes, stable to me means reliability without performance loss. RMerlin more than delivers on that front.

If you look at the main page for his firmware, his 'mission statement' is all you need to know.

Oh, except for the fact that many of his changes and inclusions originally introduced in RMerlin releases was later adapted by Asus and has become part of the 'official' firmware too. :)

Besides tweaks to the software, is it more stable than official Asus firmware?
Thoughts on both?
The answer depends on the complexity/requirements of your installation. For me ASUS firmware had issues with Time Machine function so I moved to Merlin and never looked back. Here are a few basic points about Merlin:
  1. Built from ASUS firmware but will lag behind at least by one release level
  2. Resolves some issues with the ASUS release it’s based on
  3. Adds some features/function not available in ASUS release
  4. Does not support ASUS AiMesh (Thanks @OzarkEdge)

Last edited:
The answer depends on the complexity/requirements of your installation. For me ASUS firmware had issues with Time Machine function so I moved to Merlin and never looked back. Here are a few basic points about Merlin:

4. Does not support ASUS AiMesh.

OE

4. Does not support ASUS AiMesh (Thanks @OzarkEdge)
Great..Don't care about aimesh since i don't use it...just want to make sure I can use android app with Merlin firmware.

So what's up with no aimesh support..jeje ?

Great..Don't care about aimesh since i don't use it...just want to make sure I can use android app with Merlin firmware.

So what's up with no aimesh support..jeje ?

AiMesh = AiMess :D:D:D

Your least accurate post.

OE

Just having a bit of fun, but my experience with it (not directly, I just go and make the 'WiFi' work again) it is pretty accurate. :)

Do you use the ASUS app on Android using Merlin? Just wanna make sure it still connects to the router.
Gracias
App is a severe security issue!
Much worse than opening a higher port for SSH.
Many got hacked using it in the past ...

App is a severe security issue!
Much worse than opening a higher port for SSH.
Many got hacked using it in the past ...

Reference posts, please?

OE

So, yes, those references all appear to relate to the ASUS app enabling remote access to the router in response to the user action to enable remote access. The problem was that the app did not explain and caution the user to consider the consequences... it was too easily and recklessly done by both the app and the user. I think ASUS has since improved the app in this regard... too easy to inadvertently enable remote access, but the app by its administrative nature on a mobile device and OS is still an unnecessary vulnerability to be avoid whether they fixed anything or not, imo. Still, I suspect careful users are using it securely on their LAN by avoiding the remote access feature, hence not a severe security issue for that usage.

The same remote access insecurity can be affected by the user within the router webUI... it's just not so easily and accidentally done there. I don't think you would call the router a severe security issue... at least not the current firmware.

OE

Last edited:
Got it :) Do you use the ASUS app on Android using Merlin? Just wanna make sure it still connects to the router.
Gracias
The app still works in Merlin, I even posted a screenshot on the other thread you created.;)

So, yes, those references all appear to relate to the ASUS app enabling remote access to the router in response to the user action to enable remote access. The problem was that the app did not explain and caution the user to consider the consequences... it was too easily and recklessly done by both the app and the user. I think ASUS has since improved the app in this regard... too easy to inadvertently enable remote access, but the app by its administrative nature on a mobile device and OS is still an unnecessary vulnerability to be avoid whether they fixed anything or not, imo. Still, I suspect careful users are using it securely on their LAN by avoiding the remote access feature, hence not a severe security issue for that usage.

The same remote access insecurity can be affected by the user within the router webUI... it's just not so easily and accidentally done there. I don't think you would call the router a severe security issue... at least not the current firmware.

OE
No, not the router itself is a security risc, but we are often told in this forum not to use the app, either because its opening a well known port or the app itself has been vulnerable (I cant say as I never used the app and had not been hacked)!
I think it has been the app itself, as it stopped some time ago and no further postings about being hacked.
But if they had an issue it could easily come back some day and therefore better not to use it if possible.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!