What's new

Asus WiFi capped at 100mb?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adambean

Regular Contributor
Hey all,

My cable service got bumped to 400mb today. I'm able to get ~300-450 on a wired connection but not via Wi-Fi. I'm testing on a Samsung S10+ and capping at around ~97mb.

I have a gt-ac5300, rt-ac5300 and ac66bu1 on hardwired mesh setup, using Smart Connect. My device is on 5ghz via Smart Connect.

I setup Guest WiFi to test against Smart Connect. On 2.4 I don't break 50mb yet 5g I get 200mb. The hell?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

-- edit for clarity/spelling

Last edited:
Hey all,

My cable service got bumped to 400mb today. I'm getting this on a wired connection but not via Wi-Fi.

I have a gt-ac5300, rat-ac5300 and ac66bu1 on hardwired mesh setup. Using a Samsung s10+ to test wifi speeds.

I'm using smart connect. On guest 2.4 I don't break 50mb yet on guest 5g I get 200mb? The hell?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Do you have any b/g devices using the 2,4 Ghz?

Your title says "WiFi capped at 100mb" and yet there is nothing you have posted that supports that statement.

But then you said "On 2.4 I don't break 50mb yet 5g I get 200mb" so this seems to contradict your statement that your WiFi is capped at 100Mbps.:confused:

Apologies for how this was worded. I am in essence capped at 100mb in my setup (via SmartConnect); however, I can break 100mb by going to a dedicated 5ghz channel.

The S10 is a 2x2 antenna MIMO WiFi client. 50mbps is good for 2.4ghz on that client. 2.4ghz is plagued by limited bandwidth (typically 20mhz channels), 802.11n (ten year old standard, slower), and tons of interference.

Strongly recommend you turn smart connect off and name your 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels as separate SSIDs. I’d only connect to 5ghz with your roaming devices (your phone) with that many routers/ APs. You should easily be in the 200-300mbps range anywhere in a normal sized house with appropriate hardwire backhaul.

The S10 is a 2x2 antenna MIMO WiFi client. 50mbps is good for 2.4ghz on that client. 2.4ghz is plagued by limited bandwidth (typically 20mhz channels), 802.11n (ten year old standard, slower), and tons of interference.

Strongly recommend you turn smart connect off and name your 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels as separate SSIDs. I’d only connect to 5ghz with your roaming devices (your phone) with that many routers/ APs. You should easily be in the 200-300mbps range anywhere in a normal sized house with appropriate hardwire backhaul.

This is great feedback. Most of my primary devices (pc's, fire cube's, TV's, avr's, video game consoles) are all hard wired. Wireless supports all IoT (echo, Google home, ecobee, roomba, ring myq, phones, etc.). The convenience of a single SSID is clearly there but sounds like you're saying it's worth it to seperate. Reality is, none of these devices "need" > 10mb but it's more the principal.

Having everything possible hardwired is definitely awesome.

I have all my IoT and smart devices on the 2.4ghz band only (agree with your comment - they just need a little bandwidth each, 50mbps is more than adequate, especially with three routers / APs). I updated / made sure all my smart devices supported 802.11n (WiFi 4) - no need to use wireless g or older devices these days. More advanced options (not needed but can help): I gave all my smart devices static IPs, luckily I have no roaming smart devices but I’ve read about people using MAC filters to force a smart device to pick one AP.

Keeping phones / tablets on 2.4ghz & 5 ghz makes for a roaming mess / AP location mess while the client fights between the 3 APs x 2 bands each. :eek:

Phones and tablets on 5ghz only (80Mhz). Much easier, easy to figure out the best AP location when using only one band. WiFi 5 (802.11AC) is much much faster - Makes all websites, videos, and apps respond instantly. With tweaking on the locations of the APs - with my ancient r6250’s, I was able to get 450-800mbps depending on what room I’m in. Excessive bandwidth is always a good thing. :cool:

Last edited:
So I spent the afternoon moving almost all devices over to a new 2.4 channel after disabling smart connect.

Think I uncovered something new. My basement PC (one hop to router via 1gb switch), is getting 400mb. Yet up upstairs PC and my phone (which would be connected to the first floor router) is not breaking 100mb.

First thought was cable between routers, validated it's Cat 5e. Cable from router, also Cat 5e. What the hell? Would something with the router/AiMesh cause a limitation?

Thanks

Upstairs PC and phone a little older (only support 802.11n or if the pc is plugged in does it only have a 100mbps port)?

Does your phone perform better downstairs?

Another thing to consider is that aimesh is not perfect (has a bug) so despite having a hardwire backhaul some people have noticed that it will use wireless backhaul. Despite flipping the selector on the GUI to hardwire backhaul... aimesh has a mind of its own and flips some people’s setups back to wireless. Try turning off aimesh if you suspect this and see if it improves your throughput.

Upstairs PC and phone a little older (only support 802.11n or if the pc is plugged in does it only have a 100mbps port)?

Does your phone perform better downstairs?

Another thing to consider is that aimesh is not perfect (has a bug) so despite having a hardwire backhaul some people have noticed that it will use wireless backhaul. Despite flipping the selector on the GUI to hardwire backhaul... aimesh has a mind of its own and flips some people’s setups back to wireless. Try turning off aimesh if you suspect this and see if it improves your throughput.

PC is hardwired to the ac5300, with cat5e. Phone is s10+. If I connect to the downstairs gt-ac5300, I'm getting 400.

Beyond confused. Feel like I'm missing something elementary.

AiMesh shows my nodes are connected via ethernet.

Agreed - probably an aimesh issue. I’d turn Aimesh off and see what your results are.

If that fixes it then you probably need a different asus firmware.

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. More than likely I'm just missing it, but I don't actually see an option to revert back to router + AP's?

Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default)
Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode
Repeater mode
Media Bridge
AiMesh Node

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!