What's new

Asus wireless router RT-AC1200G+ messed up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rythionix

New Around Here
I apologise if this is the wrong thread im not so good with forums but I recently cleaned some dust off of my Router and it kicked me off of it saying 'Your isps DHCP isnt functional' and repeats the problem constantly. this router is plugged into another router downstairs currently and for 8 months has let me use it just fine until the other day when I cleaned it. I factory reset it and it works just fine when I connect to either the 2.4G or 5G. and then maybe a day or so later it repeats the issue. I dont want to mess up my router so I am asking for help on how to solve this. it says the network cables unplugged then disconnected then 'Your isps DHCP is not functional' and repeats this. please help and thank you.

Replace the Ethernet cable between the Asus' WAN port and the downstairs router. Whilst you're at it check the Ethernet plugs and sockets for dust, debris, corrosion, bent pins, loose connections, etc.

I have cleaned it and it appears to be working again. not too sure if its just going to repeat the issue again like it has been. my download speed and upload speed has been reduced to an absolute crawl though and I can barely load mostly anything. 5mpbs and 0.3mbps upload

You said this router is plugged into another one downstairs. If you plug a computer into that downstairs router do you get the speeds you expect? What are those speeds?

I just did a speedtest just now with current router. 9.38mbps download and 0.19 upload. I used to get about 20mbps and 13 upload prior to these issues. using the router downstairs (wireless) 44.4mbps download and 14 upload. I plan to swap to ethernet in a week but that will only be for my pc

Unplug the Ethernet cable from the WAN port of the RT-AC1200G+ and instead plug it directly into a laptop/PC. Do the speed test again and compare the results.

unfortunately I can't again. it's saying 'your isps DHCP is not functional' once more and its not working again. I tried a different ethernet cable too and got the same results

unfortunately I can't again. it's saying 'your isps DHCP is not functional' once more and its not working again. I tried a different ethernet cable too and got the same results
I don't understand. Where are you seeing the message "your isps DHCP is not functional"? Not on the Asus because I asked you to bypass that.

EDIT: To be clear, I asked you to connect your laptop/PC to the Ethernet cable that comes up from downstairs (the cable that would normally go into the Asus).

Last edited:
ah thats my bad I misunderstood. you just want to check the downstairs routers speeds with ethernet then

ah thats my bad I misunderstood. you just want to check the downstairs routers speeds with ethernet then
Yes. I'm trying to determine whether the problem lies with the Asus router or the Ethernet cable connecting it to the router downstairs.

Ah yeah it seems my pc doesnt even know there is an ethernet cable inside of it. I will try another cable now and check again

I tried a new cable and this one seems to work. the downstairs router on ethernet is getting the exact same download speed of 45mbps and 13 upload though

It looks like I will need to order a new ethernet cable that isnt way too long. I plugged it into my router upstairs and started getting my usual very high speeds. only problem is that the cable is damaged and far too long. thank you for helping me narrow it down. I thought my router was the issue

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!