What's new

Asus with VPN client and server at the same time ? (old question, new solutions needed!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

echable

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I have successfully set up privateinternetaccess.com as my OpenVPN Client on my RT AC 87 U Asus router.

I have successfully set up my router an OpenVPN Server allowing me to acccess my home network from e.g. an Android using the OpenVPN Connect app.

Problems are:

As long as the PIA OpenVPN Client is running, the Android OpenVPN Connect app won't connect to the router OpenVPN Server. Soon as I turn off the OpenVPN Client, the app connects to the server.

To set up the OpenVPN client, I used privateinternetaccess.com's .opvn file generator.

I have read and tried many guides and posts, several very work-intensive, on how to set this up. None have worked. Many are old. Some require ssh'ing into your router, I'm not doing that with stuff like this with commands that I have no idea what mean.

I am using the latest Merlin firmware for the RT-AC 87U. Perhaps the great Merlin himself or someone else that knows how to write could explain how to set this up working ?

Thank you very much for any help!

Hi,
I think this is normal behavior. Your android device cannot connect at the same time to your OpenVPN Server via the OpenVPN app if you already have another VPN application connected to your VPN provider (PIA in this case) on this very same android device.
GS

When you try to connect to your server you can not be connected to your LAN when you test particularly if your are running a VPN client on your router.

Be sure your DDNS on the router is working and correctly reporting your public IP.

You can not as GSpock said be running another OpenVPN application on your android device other than the OpenVPN client application you selected and installed on the android device.

I have always used OPENVPN (Orange crescent surrounding a key hole.) which is an app available for Iphone, android and W10. Just install it on your device then go into your router and export the OpenVPN configuration file and in turn import this file on the device you want to connect to your server within the OPENVPN app.

I have no issues when I am running two PIA VPN clients simultaneously on my router along with a VPN server.

As long as the PIA OpenVPN Client is running, the Android OpenVPN Connect app won't connect to the router OpenVPN Server.

As far as I understand, you can’t connect to your VPN Server on the router when VPN Client is running in the same router. Did you exclude your router’s own IP address in VPN Client, Policy Rules?

As far as I understand, you can’t connect to your VPN Server on the router when VPN Client is running in the same router. Did you exclude your router’s own IP address in VPN Client, Policy Rules?

See my Post #3. I have no issues running two VPN clients and a VPN server simultaneously and I can have active connections on both.

You need to test your server by connecting from a device that is not connected to your LAN and the device you are connecting with can not be running any other VPNs other than the OpenVPN client created on your remote device with the file you exported from your router.

I run both a VPN client from the router AC86U and a VPN server that I connect when not at home via cellphone or tablet or laptop.

screenshot-router-asus-com-8443-2019-11-20-20-46-23.png

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!