What's new

Asus WL500g maximum throughput

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

the-ninth

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am administrating a private community network without about 30 clients. We are using a very old Asus WL500g as router for our Internet access, and it is running very smoothly. It is connected to the network via cable, we do not use it for wireless. Now I am planning to upgrade the Internet access speed from 20 Mbit to 100 Mbit and wondering if the router will actually be able to handle that kind of throughput.

Does anyone has an idea how much Mbit of Internet traffic such an old router can handle?

Thanks for your help!

Regards, Robert

Before evaluating the performance, I would personally be concerned about the security aspect. This is a very old model, so there's probably a number of known security issues with that router. It would be safer to replace this with a more recent product. No need to go for an expensive high-end model, most entry level products would work fine with a 100 Mbps connection.

The RT-AC66U_B1 running RMerlin firmware is a recommended entry-level device that will be more than capable in this situation. :)