What's new

Asus XG-U2008. Gigabit Switch with 2 10Gbit ports (RJ45).

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Magebarf

Regular Contributor
Just popped up on my radar, after Anandtech covered the release of this product with an article today;

Asus XG-U2008: http://www.asus.com/Networking/XG-U2008/

Basically it's an desktop style unmanaged 8 port gigabit switch with 2 additional 10 gigabit ports added. All ports RJ45/copper.
This at the price point of $250, and in stock today (at the US retailers I checked).

With not just one, but two 10Gbit ports, I'm just thinking of possibility of daisy chaining, and you could get a good uplink chain. :)

For me, it would for the moment work out as a central switch in my media cabinet, as I'm just tapping out two outlets, and running a few more devices in the cabinet, so it could be a good fit...

Not yet the universal 10gbit switch, I still think it brings quite a good set of features for what's at least for the moment a really good price (let's hope the rush for cheap 10Gbit ports continue)! :)

Have to admit, can't be fault Asus their enthusiasm... But I'd like to see the block diagram for these, as well as an idea of the quality of the internals. Haven't been all that impressed by anything switching that I've ever seen from them. Things can change, though.

I'd still probably take a more tried and true L2/2+ platform with SFP+'s for more manageability and just throw RJ45 cages in there if need be. Something like a DGS-1510-20, etc.

But if moves like this push more makers to up their value, then more power to Asus to drive that forward. :)

Last edited:
It's been part of another thread - one of the main concerns with 10GB is the cost per port - and the Asus switch does indicate that the prices are coming down - which is a good thing...

Have to admit, can't be fault Asus their enthusiasm... But I'd like to see the block diagram for these, as well as an idea of the quality of the internals. Haven't been all that impressed by anything switching that I've ever seen from them. Things can change, though.

I'd still probably take a more tried and true L2/2+ platform with SFP+'s for more manageability and just throw RJ45 cages in there if need be. Something like a DGS-1510-20, etc.

But if moves like this push more makers to up their value, then more power to Asus to drive that forward. :)

I'm in quite the same boat with regards to skepticism on Asus switches. Up until today I actually didn't know they had them in their product line up.

Not too much of the inner workings has been laid out yet (at least that I've found), but the few details listed in the Anandtech article seems to indicate the basis is should be sound; http://www.anandtech.com/show/10742/asus-xg-u2008-10gbase-t-network-switch-released-249-usd

Good thing is that with a price like that I don't doubt we'll soon see someone that has peeled their unit for a little sneak peak.

Works with all this MB at last something greate is comming up that let us do a Link aggregation to a 10GB NAS from a Asus XG-U2008 Switch.

Last edited:
Nope. That's an unmanaged switch.

us$250 for an unmanaged switch with 2 10base-t ports doesn't seem that good a deal - there's other managed options with same number of 1gbe ports, and more 10gbe ports (2 sfp+ + 2 combo 10base-t/sfp+) for the same $$$

if you really don't need management (i.e. don't need LAG) then you can get 8*1gbe+3*sfp+ for 1/2 the price (so even with a couple of sfp+ 10base-t transceivers it's going to be a LOT less)

us$250 for an unmanaged switch with 2 10base-t ports doesn't seem that good a deal - there's other managed options with same number of 1gbe ports, and more 10gbe ports (2 sfp+ + 2 combo 10base-t/sfp+) for the same $$$

if you really don't need management (i.e. don't need LAG) then you can get 8*1gbe+3*sfp+ for 1/2 the price (so even with a couple of sfp+ 10base-t transceivers it's going to be a LOT less)

Hey.
It's not me. Talk to Marucins.

Thanks.
I was wondering if it is worth going for this product. Definitely NO.

I'm more inclined to buy something from the NETGEAR GS810EMX or GS110EMX.
The price is almost identical. I just need to think about which is better (I'm not interested in lights), I'm interested in functionality.

Thanks.
I was wondering if it is worth going for this product. Definitely NO.

I'm more inclined to buy something from the NETGEAR GS810EMX or GS110EMX.
The price is almost identical. I just need to think about which is better (I'm not interested in lights), I'm interested in functionality.
GS110EMX is much better. GS810EMX is discontinued anyway. Netgear is much better than Qnap.

I thought version GS110EMX was about to run out. And the GS810EMX version is newer and there is a lot of it.

I thought version GS110EMX was about to run out. And the GS810EMX version is newer and there is a lot of it.
Newer is not always better. That's just a marketing tactic with Nighthawk series style housing. It's a kind of decoration switch.
GS110EMX: for business users. Lifetime Limited Hardware Warranty
GS810EMX: for stupids. 3-year limited hardware warranty
If you don't need 10gb ports I recommend you Netgear GC110. $39.99. Nice price! Or GS108T v3.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBBA1HQ/?tag=snbforums-20

absolute cheapest option for 8 * 1gbe + 2 * 10gbe would be the new us$100 mikrotik css610 - definitely the cheapest managed option

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!