What's new

Asus XT8: Do you enable AiProtection and QoS? And does this have dynamic DNS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grayson73

Occasional Visitor
Just installed the XT8. Do AiProtection and QoS degrade speed? Do you guys enable both?

I ask because I have 600Mbps internet, but I'm only getting 399Mbps via Ethernet with QoS on, but I get 589Mbps with QoS off. Is that because it's reserving for the ones I've prioritized?

Lastly, does this have dynamic DNS? If so, does that mean I should leave the "DNS Setting" as automatic? Right now, I've chosen 1.1.1.1 as primary and XFinity's 75.75.75.75 as secondary.

Grayson

Last edited:
Lastly, does this have dynamic DNS? If so, does that mean I should leave the "DNS Setting" as automatic? Right now, I've chosen 1.1.1.1 as primary and XFinity's 75.75.75.75 as secondary.
Dynamic DNS (DDNS) is not the same as the "automatic" DNS setting. Whether or not the automatic DNS setting is appropriate is down to your ISP, not the router. But unless your ISP says otherwise the "automatic settings" invariably work. Of course you can choose to manually override them if your prefer to use alternate DNS servers, but that's for you to decide.

Dynamic DNS (DDNS) is not the same as the "automatic" DNS setting. Whether or not the automatic DNS setting is appropriate is down to your ISP, not the router. But unless your ISP says otherwise the "automatic settings" invariably work. Of course you can choose to manually override them if your prefer to use alternate DNS servers, but that's for you to decide.

Thanks. Does that DDNS is automatically enabled? I couldn't find a setting for this.

I guess it's different. It only has:

WAN Connection Type
Port Forwarding
DNS Setting
That does appear to be significantly different from a standard router. According to section 4.3.5 of the XT8 manual you should have the DDNS option. Can you post some screen shots?

Under DNS setting, it lets you "Select DNS server manually".
Like I said, that's something completely different.

EDIT: Are you using a mobile app to configure it or a web browser?

That does appear to be significantly different from a standard router. According to section 4.3.5 of the XT8 manual you should have the DDNS option. Can you post some screen shots?

Like I said, that's something completely different.

EDIT: Are you using a mobile app to configure it or a web browser?
Ahh, the mobile app doesn't have it. I found it under router.asus.com

Grayson

Just installed the XT8. Do AiProtection and QoS degrade speed? Do you guys enable both?

I ask because I have 600Mbps internet, but I'm only getting 399Mbps via Ethernet with QoS on, but I get 589Mbps with QoS off. Is that because it's reserving for the ones I've prioritized?

It's been said on the forums that QoS isn't useful if WAN speed is over about 300mbps.
If you use QoS one of the hardware acceleration options gets disabled which will affect WAN throughput.

But if you have problems with sharing bandwidth it might be useful but the reduction in throughput means it's probably not useful for you.

I had an issue where I wasn't getting 50% speeds hardwired to the XT8. It ended up being Sophos Home free version. It has a web-filter built it that was throttling my speeds down to 500Mbps. I'm getting more consistent speeds in the 800+ now that I disabled that Sophos web-filter.

I don't have QOS on but I do have AiProtection on.

I had an issue where I wasn't getting 50% speeds hardwired to the XT8. It ended up being Sophos Home free version. It has a web-filter built it that was throttling my speeds down to 500Mbps. I'm getting more consistent speeds in the 800+ now that I disabled that Sophos web-filter.

I don't have QOS on but I do have AiProtection on.

It does? Where do I find this Sophos Home free so that I can disable it?

It does? Where do I find this Sophos Home free so that I can disable it?

In you system tray double click the blue/white Sophos icon. You'll see Web Protection. Click on it and it redirects you to the Cloud UI. Click on your computer and you should see Web Protectio. Toggle it off. You'll need to reboot your PC afterwards.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-05 135245.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-05 135245.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 194
In you system tray double click the blue/white Sophos icon. You'll see Web Protection. Click on it and it redirects you to the Cloud UI. Click on your computer and you should see Web Protectio. Toggle it off. You'll need to reboot your PC afterwards.

Oh, I thought you meant it was in the router settings somewhere. I never installed Sophos.

Oh, I thought you meant it was in the router settings somewhere. I never installed Sophos.

Sorry I should have added, that Sophos is not part of the Asus router. It's a separate installation for my chosen AV software. Since my Asus XT8 is using AiProtection I didn't see the need for the Sophos Web Filter.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!