What's new

Asus XT8 - latest firmware 04Nov21 - 3.0.0.4.386_45934

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ThatGuyinNC

Occasional Visitor
Hey all,

Curious if anyone has tried out the latest firmware from Asus for the XT8 mesh system: 3.0.0.4.386_45934. I recently tried the one before this but received some disconnects from my smart plugs/IOT devices, so I rolled back to ole faithful 3.0.0.4.386_42095-g30cf4ad. Upon going back to this, I'm still experiencing some issues with some of the devices, although some what less. I was curious if I missed a step. Upon downgrading the firmware, (I did router then nodes), what's the best way to ensure it will work as expected? Do I need to factory reset the full system?
I know there are threads in here showing many different options, so I'm trying to determine if I am ok without a full factory, or if I need to plan some time to rebuild after the reset.

Appreciate the assist as always.

Hey all,

Curious if anyone has tried out the latest firmware from Asus for the XT8 mesh system: 3.0.0.4.386_45934. I recently tried the one before this but received some disconnects from my smart plugs/IOT devices, so I rolled back to ole faithful 3.0.0.4.386_42095-g30cf4ad. Upon going back to this, I'm still experiencing some issues with some of the devices, although some what less. I was curious if I missed a step. Upon downgrading the firmware, (I did router then nodes), what's the best way to ensure it will work as expected? Do I need to factory reset the full system?
I know there are threads in here showing many different options, so I'm trying to determine if I am ok without a full factory, or if I need to plan some time to rebuild after the reset.

Appreciate the assist as always.

As you've described your current situation, I'd do a full reset to factory defaults and then manually reconfigure your ZenWiFi. Just reverted from 45934 to 42095 myself, and took the full reset path. Everything is working as I would expect after I was all finished reconfiguring.

One additional thing that I did this time around was to put the ZenWiFi AX into AP mode. And am using an RT-AX86U with the latest Asus firmware as my "main" (wired-only) router. I'm starting to feel that 42095 is getting kind of old, and doesn't have the security fixes that the latest firmware has, so I want to have a router that has up to date firmware as my outwardly facing one. Kind of the best of both worlds, I hope...the ZenWiFi provides a nice wireless mesh, and the RT-AX86U provides an up to date interface to the internet. Working well, and I can get to both web admin interfaces, as well as use the Asus Router app for managing both the 86U and the ZenWiFi in AP mode. Happy with this at the moment.

I'd really like to see a nice, stable new firmware release for the ZenWiFi, though.

As you've described your current situation, I'd do a full reset to factory defaults and then manually reconfigure your ZenWiFi. Just reverted from 45934 to 42095 myself, and took the full reset path. Everything is working as I would expect after I was all finished reconfiguring.

One additional thing that I did this time around was to put the ZenWiFi AX into AP mode. And am using an RT-AX86U with the latest Asus firmware as my "main" (wired-only) router. I'm starting to feel that 42095 is getting kind of old, and doesn't have the security fixes that the latest firmware has, so I want to have a router that has up to date firmware as my outwardly facing one. Kind of the best of both worlds, I hope...the ZenWiFi provides a nice wireless mesh, and the RT-AX86U provides an up to date interface to the internet. Working well, and I can get to both web admin interfaces, as well as use the Asus Router app for managing both the 86U and the ZenWiFi in AP mode. Happy with this at the moment.

I'd really like to see a nice, stable new firmware release for the ZenWiFi, though.
Thanks for the suggestion Roger, as always :). Is there an easier way of re-setting up the network after the factory reset? I hate having to bring the nodes back down to the main router to connect them each time, I keep my settings/config file updated, but any tricks you use for when the reset is done? When I do the reset I have to plan for hours of downtime, and since I work from home I usually have to do it overnight. Also, how's your throughput speed when using the AX86U as the router instead of the XT8? Any noticeable increase?

Thanks for the suggestion Roger, as always :). Is there an easier way of re-setting up the network after the factory reset? I hate having to bring the nodes back down to the main router to connect them each time, I keep my settings/config file updated, but any tricks you use for when the reset is done? When I do the reset I have to plan for hours of downtime, and since I work from home I usually have to do it overnight. Also, how's your throughput speed when using the AX86U as the router instead of the XT8? Any noticeable increase?

Well, no speed increase to speak of, but I wasn't aiming for a speed increase. Just ran a wired speed test, and it shows the usual, about 935/935Mbps. I did a speed test at the remote node before I went to bed last night and it was about 650/650Mbps. Both of these are fine, and about what I expect.

As far as bringing the nodes back to the router when resetting, I don't do that. I just leave the node where it is, and it gets brought back into the mesh just fine by the smart phone app when creating the network. I did bring the node back to the router the first time, but then just thought, what the heck, give it a try in situ. Worked fine, so I've done that ever since. Also, personally, I don't use a config file, just do manual configuration...takes maybe 10 minutes with the web admin interface after getting the mesh put back together using the Asus Router app on my phone. Then I always know exactly what my configuration settings are to start *smile*.

Last edited:
Much appreciated. I'll give the 'stay in place' method another shot. The first and second time, I had to bring them closer together in order to connect them. I am using the wireless backhaul, so maybe that's my issue. Are you still running ethernet backhaul via MoCa? Still considering that, but would need to move my current setup. Anyway, I certainly do appreciate the insight! Take care!

Much appreciated. I'll give the 'stay in place' method another shot. The first and second time, I had to bring them closer together in order to connect them. I am using the wireless backhaul, so maybe that's my issue. Are you still running ethernet backhaul via MoCa? Still considering that, but would need to move my current setup. Anyway, I certainly do appreciate the insight! Take care!

Nope, back to wireless backhaul for some time now. That has always worked well, but since I do have MoCA running, had to try it *smile*. Turns out that it works fine, but I likes me my wireless mesh *smile*.

Wow you’re getting close to 200 Mbs more than I am at my wired node test. I’m averaging about 420-435 at the nodes and 635 at the router. Going to try another factory reset tonight and maybe swap the router out with a node.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!