What's new

ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware version 9.0.0.4.386.46980 (2022/02/22)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dodgydrains

Regular Contributor
ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware version 9.0.0.4.386.46980
This beta version fixed someIoT compatibility issues.

Please download and unzip the firmware and Refer to "Method 2: Update Manually" in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000 to update this firmware.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5:bdb2b656513629c83af8b266257c0e6e

Is there a changelog please?

This is the only change log that I am aware of:

This beta version fixed someIoT compatibility issues.

I been using beta 9.0.0.4.386_57317 for about a week and this one is working well as well no disconnection from the lot devices. My cameras and Google display stay connected.

Bummer, this firmware version is still less than the rc3 version.

Last edited:
Hopefully by "This beta version fixed someIoT compatibility issues" they mean the frequent and constant drops of certain IoT devices that have been plaguing users across Asus devices for over half a year...

Installed last night. I was running the 9.0.1.4_386_46197 beta before. IoT devices seem stable, though admittedly I installed it right before going to bed.
Speeds seem good. Getting my usual 1.4gbps down / 40mbps up. Wireless throughput feels unchanged.

The only difference I'm noticing is that my AiMesh node seems to be getting a lot less use. It's separate by upstairs/downstairs, and I have about a dozen devices downstairs. My upstairs unit has 22 devices connected, and downstairs is hovering in the 3-5 range. Manually optimizing devices that are closer to the node doesn't seem to work; they stay connected to the further unit. I've tried a few reboots without any luck. I'll likley have to manually connect the downstairs devices to that node, and then bind them within the UI. Curious if anyone else is seeing similar behavior?

Hopefully by "This beta version fixed someIoT compatibility issues" they mean the frequent and constant drops of certain IoT devices that have been plaguing users across Asus devices for over half a year...
I hope so. I resolved it on other firmware versions by moving them to a guest network. It worked, but I have no idea why.

Installed last night. I was running the 9.0.1.4_386_46197 beta before. IoT devices seem stable, though admittedly I installed it right before going to bed.
Speeds seem good. Getting my usual 1.4gbps down / 40mbps up. Wireless throughput feels unchanged.

The only difference I'm noticing is that my AiMesh node seems to be getting a lot less use. It's separate by upstairs/downstairs, and I have about a dozen devices downstairs. My upstairs unit has 22 devices connected, and downstairs is hovering in the 3-5 range. Manually optimizing devices that are closer to the node doesn't seem to work; they stay connected to the further unit. I've tried a few reboots without any luck. I'll likley have to manually connect the downstairs devices to that node, and then bind them within the UI. Curious if anyone else is seeing similar behavior?
I've been running this for 48 hours. No nest thermostat drops. I think they may have succeeded at fixing the IoT problem

Giving this one a shot, too. Interested to see how it'll work with an odd, wayward device that I have...if it continues to work as well as it has so far, I'll be real happy with it *smile*. Did do a WPS button reset to defaults after flashing.

Was also able to turn off the wlceventd log filler messages for this firmware version, made my day.

Last edited:
The IoT devices (nest thermostat and leak sensors) all seem solid after this update. I am able to access them, and they seem to be working fine.

How did you turn off the wlceventd log filler message?

I am noticing some odd things in the log, and the listings. The first has been long term. The next two may or may not be new:
  1. My nest protects show up as wired clients, even though they are wireless on the 2.4 band. They are working fine, but seem to be categorized incorrectly
  2. My nest thermostat shows up in the log entries as dissociating and associating. It also, for some odd reason shows up in the log as connected to ethernet port 4. In the listing, it shows up properly as wireless 2.4. It also occasionally shows a message about it not being a mesh client.
  3. My leak sensors keep dropping in the log and reconnecting as well.
Everything seems to be working fine, but these log entries.

Any advice or observations would be welcome.

Brad

The IoT devices (nest thermostat and leak sensors) all seem solid after this update. I am able to access them, and they seem to be working fine.

How did you turn off the wlceventd log filler message?

I am noticing some odd things in the log, and the listings. The first has been long term. The next two may or may not be new:
  1. My nest protects show up as wired clients, even though they are wireless on the 2.4 band. They are working fine, but seem to be categorized incorrectly
  2. My nest thermostat shows up in the log entries as dissociating and associating. It also, for some odd reason shows up in the log as connected to ethernet port 4. In the listing, it shows up properly as wireless 2.4. It also occasionally shows a message about it not being a mesh client.
  3. My leak sensors keep dropping in the log and reconnecting as well.
Everything seems to be working fine, but these log entries.

Any advice or observations would be welcome.

Brad

Here's the post that I've been using to remove the wlceventd messages from the system log:

Here's the line that I use on a mac terminal window to log into ssh on router. Note that the port that I used in the "Administration" -> "System" tab was 1025:

Code:
ssh -p 1025 admin@192.168.50.1

The log is now "calmed down", and I can see the significant log messages.

Last edited:
Here's the post that I've been using to remove the wlceventd messages from the system log:

Here's the line that I use on a mac terminal window to log into ssh on router. Note that the port that I used in the "Administration" -> "System" tab was 1025:

Code:
ssh -p 1025 admin@192.168.50.1

The log is now "calmed down", and I can see the significant log messages.

Well, now that I've have gotten rid of the most annoying and numerous messages, I can see that these messages are back. Unfortunately I still see them with log_level 5:

Code:
Mar  9 08:09:38 kernel: 3C:06:30:08:69:67 not mesh client, can't delete it
Mar  9 08:59:26 kernel: 3C:06:30:08:69:67 not mesh client, can't delete it
Mar  9 09:14:48 kernel: 3C:06:30:08:69:67 not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Mar  9 09:31:06 kernel: 3C:06:30:08:69:67 not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Mar  9 09:32:59 kernel: 3C:06:30:08:69:67 not mesh client, can't delete it
Mar  9 09:48:37 kernel: 3C:06:30:08:69:67 not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Mar  9 10:06:14 kernel: 3C:06:30:08:69:67 not mesh client, can't update it's ip

More messages to ignore...the MAC Address in these particular messages is that of a MacBook Pro that uses the mesh wi-fi, of course. Since this is a Beta, maybe these are debugging messages? On the other hand, the ZenWiFi mesh is working perfectly, keeping our wayward child client device on the straight and narrow *smile*.

Last edited:
I hope so. I resolved it on other firmware versions by moving them to a guest network. It worked, but I have no idea why.
That's great news about the nest. I'll update over the weekend and report how my nest and other IoT devices behave. Fingers crossed this is the end of the nest problems.

Helllo everyone! I have a random question.....

I bought a single XT8... Do in need to have AIMEsh on? or any of the backhaul setting on? I do not need another node in my house. Would i see increased performance?

Random answer, no. :)

Helllo everyone! I have a random question.....

I bought a single XT8... Do in need to have AIMEsh on? or any of the backhaul setting on? I do not need another node in my house. Would i see increased performance?
No. Just run it as a router. No mesh needed if you don’t need the coverage.

With one XT8, not only is the mesh stuff useless, but you'd be way better off to make the 5GHz-2 radio available for client use instead of reserving it for backhaul.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!