What's new

Asus ZenWifi XT8 optimization question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jackdlail

New Around Here
I have Asus ZenWifi XT8 with a router and two nodes using wireless backhaul.

I notice on a reboot, the it takes a bit for the nodes to quit blinking blue and come back online on the AiMesh. By that time nearly every device has connected to the base router.

Running optimization on the whole system or on specific devices (Amazon Echo, Google Nest products, Google Chromecast Wemo smart plugs, etc., Arlo cameras) from the app seems to have no effect; they just connect back to the same node. Power cycling and toggle Wifi on/off on the device will cause them to the connect to the closest/strongest node.

My question is does optimization actually work?

Also, I didn't seem much difference on which band a device will use with the RSSI settings adjusted in the Smart Connect rules. Does that ban steering actually work?

With my older RT-AC1900 router and node, I did a scheduled reboot weekly very early, but I'm thinking that might not be a best practice with the XT8?

Thoughts or experiences?