What's new

Asus Zenwifi XT8 WIFI Speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Soxi.Tg

New Around Here
What is realistic wifi speed should I expect to get on my wifi6 capable phone with 1gbps fiber internet ? I currently get around 550 mbps even i stand next to the main router. The router is on merlin firmware right now. I have try different firmware and I never get close to 700-800 mbps.

What is everyone wifi speed stand next to the router ? Please post your result with your internet plan.

Welcome to the forums @Soxi.Tg.

It depends on the phone, the router settings, and many other factors, including the speed test app and/or website/server used.

Testing WiFi speeds 'right next to the router' is a non-test. You should be at least 10' (3M) away, line of sight for maximum performance.

With my Note10+ (Android 12, OneUI 4.1) phone, 1Gbps symmetrical up/down Fibre ISP, and RT-AX86U I can get over 880Mbps on my phone, peak. With over 800Mbps sustained at around 15' away from the router. With RMerlin 386.5_2 running the main and AiMesh nodes and fixed 160MHz bandwidth on the 5GHz band. Using the OOKLA website, speedtest.net (with my local provider as the server).

Standing right over the router doesn't allow the radio waves to form properly, and won't give you full speeds (by a long shot). Not to mention that kind of test makes a wireless network kind of moot anyway. :)

With my Note10+ (Android 12, OneUI 4.1) phone, 1Gbps symmetrical up/down Fibre ISP, and RT-AX86U I can get over 880Mbps on my phone, peak. With over 800Mbps sustained at around 15' away from the router. With RMerlin 386.5_2 running the main and AiMesh nodes and fixed 160MHz bandwidth on the 5GHz band. Using the OOKLA website, speedtest.net (with my local provider as the server).

Thank for the insight information. You are saying your 5Ghz band is on the 160Mhz bandwidth ? Could this be why you are getting high wifi speed on your phone. My mesh router is XT-8 , they are on wireless backhaul with second 5ghz fixed 160mhz bandwidth, My iphone 13 pro is connecting to the remaining 5ghz band that is on 80mhz , I have try move back a little bit to 10 ft per your instruction, my wifi speed ( using speedtest app) is getting around 550 mbps.

Does anyone with Asus XT-8 are getting close to 800mbps on over wifi ?

Yes, I'm used wired backhaul mode (via the 2.5GbE Ports) and 160MHz bandwidth too.

If you're connecting the phone to your wireless backhaul node, I don't believe your speeds will be much better than what you're already seeing now. The setup is effectively in Repeater mode. As a test, are your speeds faster when you're connected to the main router?

Repeater mode = wireless AiMesh

Thank for the insight information. You are saying your 5Ghz band is on the 160Mhz bandwidth ? Could this be why you are getting high wifi speed on your phone. My mesh router is XT-8 , they are on wireless backhaul with second 5ghz fixed 160mhz bandwidth, My iphone 13 pro is connecting to the remaining 5ghz band that is on 80mhz , I have try move back a little bit to 10 ft per your instruction, my wifi speed ( using speedtest app) is getting around 550 mbps.

Does anyone with Asus XT-8 are getting close to 800mbps on over wifi ?
I use 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz on Auto channel. I have found that setting the 5 GHz to a fixed 160 MHz is a sure fire way to experience drops when the router detects RADAR. With 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz the router can run at 80 MHz most of the time and go to 160 MHz when an AX client connects. If it detects RADAR it will drop back to 80 MHz and keep working. On 160 MHz I have seen the 5 GHz shut down and put the clients on 2.4 GHz. I also use and recommend SmartConnect.
A mesh network has the advantage of getting the WIFI signal over a large area. You do not always get higher bandwidth (AKA Speed) over the mesh if using WIFI back haul.

I can get almost 700Mbps on my Iphone 13 Pro Max at XT8 node (ground floor) using Speedtest.net apps.

My wall house is bricked type.

Main router is GT-AX11000 at 1st floor with 800 DL / 200 UL Mbps internet plan.

Maybe you need to check your setting and optimize the wifi channel.

JPG_1134.jpg

JPG_1133.jpg

Using an XT8 as a node (connected to an AX1100 main router via wireless backhaul) on a 900 BT connection. On the XT8 I regularly get Wi-Fi of around 700-750 Mbps and have seen reported speeds of almost 800, and as low as 500, on occasions.

It looks like everyone is getting good speed with AX1100 as main router. Does anyone use XT-8 as main router here ?

Welcome to the forums @Soxi.Tg.

It depends on the phone, the router settings, and many other factors, including the speed test app and/or website/server used.

Testing WiFi speeds 'right next to the router' is a non-test. You should be at least 10' (3M) away, line of sight for maximum performance.

Standing right over the router doesn't allow the radio waves to form properly, and won't give you full speeds (by a long shot). Not to mention that kind of test makes a wireless network kind of moot anyway. :)

The ZenWiFi AX isn't really repeater mode, since XT8's are tri-band nodes. One 5GHz. radio on each node, the 4-stream one, is dedicated to wireless backhaul. So the speed isn't cut in half.

And yes, I'm using one of my 2 XT8's as my main router. Works well, I get about 600Mbps. using wifi-6 on the router node, and a little less, like about 580Mbps on the remote node 40' from the router node. This is all wifi-6 using my iPad Pro 11" (the M1-based one) with wireless backhaul. Very happy with that. To amplify a little on the details, I'm on a 500/500Mbps fiber speed tier that's provisioned at about 620/620Mbps.

Interestingly enough (to me, anyways *smile*), the speeds that I get now are only a scosh lower, maybe 50Mbps lower, than I got when I was on the gigabit speed tier. Again, that was on wifi-6 with wireless backhaul, as well.

Great speed, great coverage, very happy *smile*.

Last edited: