What's new

Asusmerlin putty ssh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Josh F

New Around Here
Hello.

I am new to this Forum.
My question is how do i save changes to the Putty SSH? I have CL Fiber that uses PPPoE, and i figured out how to edit the TCPMSS. I need to make changes everytime when i have to restart router.

(I am currently using Asus AX86U)

Please can you help me out?

Thank you

What firmware are you using?

Did you check the RMerlin website for additional information?

I am running 386.1_alpha4-gd4b7146753.
I haven't found anything that's why i asked question :)

Is there some reason you are using a BUGGY TEST ALPHA Build when TEST BETA2 is out, ALL IN TESTING MODE?

See the special instructions on upgrading here in POST #1:

Last edited:
My question is how do i save changes to the Putty SSH? I have CL Fiber that uses PPPoE, and i figured out how to edit the TCPMSS. I need to make changes everytime when i have to restart router.
To make your changes permanent you will have to create a user script. If you tell us exactly what changes you are making in PuTTY we might be able to suggest the appropriate user script, although it's likely to be wan-event or firewall-start.

But my question would be why do you need to do it this way? If you want to change the TCP MSS this can be achieved by altering the MTU value in the router's GUI in the WAN settings.

Last edited:
Is there some reason you are using a BUGGY TEST ALPHA Build when TEST BETA2 is out, ALL IN TESTING MODE?

See the special instructions on upgrading here in POST #1:
Thanks you so much, i have not checked to see if there was a new beta. Will upgrade soon

To make your changes permanent you will have to create a user script. If you tell us exactly what changes you are making in PuTTY we might be able to suggest the appropriate user script, although it's likely to be wan-event or firewall-start.

But my question would be why do you need to do it this way? If you want to change the TCP MSS this can be achieved by altering the MTU value in the router's GUI in the WAN settings.
So far I've been doing it through the firewall. I did not know i could do it from the WAN settings. Is there a tutorial on how to make a user script for both wan-event or firewall start? Again i am new to this but i am having fun doing these changes to my router :)

So far I've been doing it through the firewall. I did not know i could do it from the WAN settings.
You still haven't said what exactly it is that you're doing in PuTTY, so I'm just assuming it's the same as can be done in the WAN settings.

Is there a tutorial on how to make a user script for both wan-event or firewall start? Again i am new to this but i am having fun doing these changes to my router :)
The wiki entry has a general overview of what each script does, when it's run and how to create them. But the specific contents of a script will vary depending on the user's needs. Searching the forum is often the easiest way to find examples as someone has usually done something similar to what you want.

You still haven't said what exactly it is that you're doing in PuTTY, so I'm just assuming it's the same as can be done in the WAN settings.

The wiki entry has a general overview of what each script does, when it's run and how to create them. But the specific contents of a script will vary depending on the user's needs. Searching the forum is often the easiest way to find examples as someone has usually done something similar to what you want.
Oh i am sorry. What i am doing is changing TCPMSS on the firewall using putty.

"changing TCPMSS on the firewall" doesn't really help. What commands are you typing in?
I was typing in "iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -o ppp0 -j TCPMSS -set-mss 1452"

Am i doing it wrong? If so, what would you recommend?

I was typing in "iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -o ppp0 -j TCPMSS -set-mss 1452"

Am i doing it wrong? If so, what would you recommend?
That command is syntactically invalid. Did you check it? tcp-flags and set-mss need double "-" in front of them not single.

Assuming that's a typo on your part, if you want to make that command persistent you would put it in a firewall-start script. If you already have a firewall-start script on your router you would just add that line to it. If you don't already have that script you would create a new one that looks like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -o ppp0 -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1452

I'm surprised that you need to do this as there's already a similar rule in the FORWARD chain that should have the same effect provided the WAN MTU/MRU is set to 1492. I guess your ISP is doing something strange and that's not working.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!