What's new

Asustor AS5104T Hangs ... ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JeeperDon

Occasional Visitor
I've been chasing issues with my NAS for over a month. Seems since the last ADM update, near Mar 30, I get LAN disconnect/reconnects, and also about daily system hangs (the LED panel stops scrolling and no access). The System Info Log just verifies what I know with the LAN and hangs. I've tried the NAS's other LAN port, swapped the cable, used a different switch port, still get the LAN disconnects at the same rate.

Assuming is is indeed related to the last ADM update, I thought of going back to the prior version, but can't find it. I've thought of going to the 3.0 Beta but can't find any reviews on how good it is.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you here may have.

[This is my first post, but this is not a drive-by. I'll be around the forum for awhile.]

Last edited:
I recommend opening a support ticket with Asustor. They're very good at dealing with issues it seems, they can even offer to remotely connect to your NAS to investigate.

I do not recommend upgrading to a beta to attempt to fix an issue - it might bring its own share of issues, making the situation even more complicated.

If you want to downgrade, you have to contact their tech support to request the previous firmware. Check with them first if downgrading is possible - some downgrages aren't, due to filesystems changes.

I recommend opening a support ticket with Asustor.
I do have a ticket in, and oddly, just after posting the above an hour ago, I got a reply from them on the ticket, want to make a change to capture a specific log. I'm hesitant to let them use Teamviewer unless I'm there to watch. I'm not a linux wiz, but I'll try to do the linux work myself to set up the change in logging.
icon_toast.gif

I do have a ticket in, and oddly, just after posting the above an hour ago, I got a reply from them on the ticket, want to make a change to capture a specific log. I'm hesitant to let them use Teamviewer unless I'm there to watch. I'm not a linux wiz, but I'll try to do the linux work myself to set up the change in logging.
icon_toast.gif

In my case, when I needed their help last year, they had me open SSH access to the NAS, so they could remotely access it. They didn't need access to my desktop, and I trusted them enough to connect briefly to my LAN (there wasn't anything sensitive accessible by them).

In my case, when I needed their help last year, they had me open SSH access to the NAS, so they could remotely access it. They didn't need access to my desktop, and I trusted them enough to connect briefly to my LAN (there wasn't anything sensitive accessible by them).
Did they do it real time, while you watched? Did they go in through the desktop via twamviewer, like with PuTTY or something for the SSH?

Did they do it real time, while you watched? Did they go in through the desktop via twamviewer, like with PuTTY or something for the SSH?

No, I opened the SSH port in my router so they could log remotely (I temporarily changed my login password for them, and reverted it back the next day). They did so during my night time. No remote desktop involved.

I was able to trace back what they did, as Linux keeps an history file of typed commands. They basically changed the cron jobs created by the service that was causing me trouble. They didn't even try to peak at anything - whichever tech that accessed my NAS was very professional.

I can understand one's reluctance in giving remote access to support personal tho - it's definitely justified. I can only comment on my own personal experience, as I knew there was nothing confidential on my NAS (it's basically large Acronis True Image backups, my music, downloads of large source code tarballs from Asus, etc...).

My really personal documents (accounting and such) remain on my desktop, and are backed up in the cloud. And my desktop is password-protected...

They basically changed the cron jobs created by the service that was causing me trouble.
The ticket reply I got was that to add a cron job to copy a particular log file every 10 mins to save it, as it apparently gets cleared on a boot. I can do that cron setup myself in linux. When I get the crash again, I'm to send them the last log.

Thanks for your help. I'll post back when I figure out what the problem is.
icon_toast.gif

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!