What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbeddow

Very Senior Member
Pretty cool developments, can't wait to finally try these long awaited 386 versions once they are finalized as a general release in the form of an @RMerlin firmware (once some more time goes by waiting for the GPL of course).:):cool:

Pretty cool developments, can't wait to finally try these long awaited 386 versions once they are finalized as a general release in the form of an @RMerlin firmware (once some more time goes by waiting for the GPL of course).:):cool:

Keep in mind that it will take a fair amount of time, as I have to merge roughly 1 year of code changes on top of my own code. Last time with the 380 -> 382 jump I ended up restarting the project from scratch. I'll need to evaluate things once I get my hands on the GPL (Asus and I are already discussing it, so no need to poke at them about it).

For now, I strongly recommend people test these Asus betas, and help track down any issue so they have them resolved. Make sure you make a backup of your config BEFORE flashing these, so if you decide to go back, you will be able to recover your configuration.

Keep in mind that it will take a fair amount of time, as I have to merge roughly 1 year of code changes on top of my own code. Last time with the 380 -> 382 jump I ended up restarting the project from scratch. I'll need to evaluate things once I get my hands on the GPL (Asus and I are already discussing it, so no need to poke at them about it).

For now, I strongly recommend people test these Asus betas, and help track down any issue so they have them resolved. Make sure you make a backup of your config BEFORE flashing these, so if you decide to go back, you will be able to recover your configuration.
Yes, I wasn't expecting a release from you in the short term (or near future?), but I do have my fingers crossed for sometime before this miserable year is over :eek::rolleyes::).
Stay safe everyone.
Edit: While I am strongly tempted to try out the new features in this public Beta, I am not sure I can do without the extras provided by @RMerlin for now, so I will likely have to sit on the sidelines.

Edit: While I am strongly tempted to try out the new features in this public Beta, I am not sure I can do without the extras provided by @RMerlin for now, so I will likely have to sit on the sidelines.

You could temporarily turn your AiMesh node into an AP or even a router (in double NAT) just to give it a spin.

You could temporarily turn your AiMesh node into an AP or even a router (in double NAT) just to give it a spin.
Hmm...intriguing idea, but isn't it explicitly stated in the original post that both AiMesh units (the router and node) have to be running the new 386 code to benefit from most (or nearly all) of the new enhancements (I'm thinking of 802.11k/v in particular)?

Edit: Nevermind: I just re-read the original post now, it would appear that the primary loss from not running on both units would be some missing AiMesh 2.0 features. More to think about....

Last edited:
Perhaps I missed it in the discussion but is there a published list of models that will eventually be supported or is the Beta list in the OP that list? Specifically I don't see the RT-AC3100 listed.

TIA

Hmm...intriguing idea, but isn't it explicitly stated in the original post that both AiMesh units (the router and node) have to be running the new 386 code to benefit from most (or nearly all) of the new enhancements (I'm thinking of 802.11k/v in particular)?

The idea is to temporarily use it as an AP or a router instead of an Aimesh node, just to do some basic testing with the new firmware, without affecting your primary router. APs don't need to use any specific firmware version to connect to the main router.

The new roaming capabilities will indeed need all nodes to support 802.11k/v.

no AC88U ?

I think I saw a beta build on their Onedrive folder, have a look.

Also keep in mind these are betas. They might not necessarily have the time to provide builds for every single models, so they probably focus on a few that cover the different platforms.

I'm curious to try the build for the AX88U. As I wonder if Asus fixed upstream wifi traffic being processed by Adaptive QoS. As Adaptive QoS is pretty useless right now, when wifi devices can max out upstream bandwidth. Because this traffic oddly bypasses Adaptive QoS.

Is it possible for SmartConnect to adopt 802.11 k/v?? That would be awesome to have on SmartConnect..

Also what models support the k/v standards??

All models with 386 rc2 firmware support the k/v standards. 802.11 v is for SmartConnect. 802.11k helps devices search quickly for nodes.
Oh nice!!

So that means this V/K support will benefit us without AIMesh yeah? So that means this will benefit SmartConnect feature on its own with it steering clients to 5ghz and back to 2.4? Thank you

Also I've noticed on the last few version. That we can change manual channel for SmartConnect. Is it gonna be staying or ? Since it's a very good feature

I'd be interested in testing on my RT-AX88U however I use RT-AX56U AiMesh nodes. I'm reading that it needs the nodes also running 386 beta and that the RT-AX56U beta isn't yet available (I'm hoping it will receive 386 at some point)?

Is there any further information available on changes included in 386 - I'm interested if traffic queueing or Adaptive QoS has been improved / changed?

I'd be interested in testing on my RT-AX88U however I use RT-AX56U AiMesh nodes. I'm reading that it needs the nodes also running 386 beta and that the RT-AX56U beta isn't yet available (I'm hoping it will receive 386 at some point)?

Amen to that - the 56U is a brilliant device for the price.

Yes, I wasn't expecting a release from you in the short term (or near future?), but I do have my fingers crossed for sometime before this miserable year is over :eek::rolleyes::).
Stay safe everyone.

Me too. I will wait on @RMerlin as my current setup is working very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!