1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AsusWRT and AsusWRT-Merlin and Open NAT Filtration (aka Full-Cone-NAT) only on Asus RT-AC86U?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by RamGuy, Oct 31, 2018.

1. RamGuy

RamGuy Senior Member

What's the current status of AsusWRT and Merlin firmware in terms of supporting Full Cone NAT / Open NAT Filtration? I noticed in the feature overview that you mention; "Full cone NAT support (RT-AC86U only)" which sounds great. But what is the reason for this only being available on this specific model and not any of the others? And is this something you had to add yourself or is it supported by default by this model? Is this feature a simple toggle in the webui in order to choose between secure/strict nat filtration and open nat filtration?

2. Vexira

Vexira Very Senior Member

Kernel version, the 86u is newer in kernel version than all the other supported units

3. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Broadcom only implemented it in the newer kernel versions. All I did was implement code to enable it on platforms that use the newer kernel.

Vexira likes this.
  4. RamGuy

RamGuy Senior Member

Great, then I will drop my plans of getting the Netgear XR500 and just get the Asus RT-AC86U instead.

Vexira likes this.