What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.27 Beta 1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Hey everyone,

I just uploaded beta builds for all three routers to the Beta folders on Mediafire. This version is released as beta for now to ensure there is no new regression introduced by the merge with the 354 code, as there were quite a few changes since the last official release (270).

I already went over the build 354 changes in this thread, but let me summarize them here:

• New wireless driver. This new driver brings quite a few improvements over the older one. Note that if you experience any issue with this new driver, it is strongly recommended to revert back to factory defaults, and reconfiguring your router. There are a few low-level changes, and some new default values that you won't pick up until you revert back to factory defaults.
  • Fix for XBox 360 wireless issues (enable that on the Wireless settings page)
  • New Network Tools menu, which includes WakeOnLAN and various network diagnostic tools.
  • Integration of the DHCP fix for Charter users
  • Share names no longer include the mount location, only the share name itself (similar to enabling Simpler Share Naming in Asuswrt-Merlin)
  • HW acceleration for PPPoE users. This should help if your ISP uses PPPoE over a very fast (300 Mbits or faster) connection.

A number of changes were made on my end to better integrate with this new version.

• WOL page removed from the Tools page. Please use Asus's own WOL page, under Network Tools. My implementation was in need of being redesigned, but since Asus got there first, might as well use theirs. Note that you will need to repopulate your list of predefined targets, if you previously had any.
  • System Logs -> Connections page removed. The functionality was integrated into Asus's Network Tools -> Netstat page. The option was added as "NAT Connections" to the dropdown.
  • Removal of the SIP helper function. The same functionality can be found with Asus's new SIP setting on the WAN -> NAT Passthrough page.
  • The relaxed DHCP queries is now optionally configurable, under WAN -> DHCP. "Normal" is the same as in Asuswrt-Merlin 270.26b, with an increased delay between DHCP requests. Aggressive goes back to how the firmware was previously working (which will lead to blacklisting with some ISPs such as Charter)

I am mostly interested in new regressions in this new build.

If you experience wireless issue, let me repeat it: please do a factory default reset, then try again with just a basic configuration. Some of those tweaks you were using previously under 270 might no longer work as expected under 354.

Please look at the complete changelog for all the other details. While build 27 focuses on the 354 merge, there are still one or two additional bugfixes that were already in the pipeline.

Hey everyone,

I just uploaded beta builds for all three routers to the Beta folders on Mediafire. This version is released as beta for now to ensure there is no new regression introduced by the merge with the 354 code, as there were quite a few changes since the last official release (270).

I already went over the build 354 changes in this thread, but let me summarize them here:

• New wireless driver. This new driver brings quite a few improvements over the older one. Note that if you experience any issue with this new driver, it is strongly recommended to revert back to factory defaults, and reconfiguring your router. There are a few low-level changes, and some new default values that you won't pick up until you revert back to factory defaults.
  • Fix for XBox 360 wireless issues (enable that on the Wireless settings page)
  • New Network Tools menu, which includes WakeOnLAN and various network diagnostic tools.
  • Integration of the DHCP fix for Charter users
  • Share names no longer include the mount location, only the share name itself (similar to enabling Simpler Share Naming in Asuswrt-Merlin)
  • HW acceleration for PPPoE users. This should help if your ISP uses PPPoE over a very fast (300 Mbits or faster) connection.

A number of changes were made on my end to better integrate with this new version.

• WOL page removed from the Tools page. Please use Asus's own WOL page, under Network Tools. My implementation was in need of being redesigned, but since Asus got there first, might as well use theirs. Note that you will need to repopulate your list of predefined targets, if you previously had any.
  • System Logs -> Connections page removed. The functionality was integrated into Asus's Network Tools -> Netstat page. The option was added as "NAT Connections" to the dropdown.
  • Removal of the SIP helper function. The same functionality can be found with Asus's new SIP setting on the WAN -> NAT Passthrough page.
  • The relaxed DHCP queries is now optionally configurable, under WAN -> DHCP. "Normal" is the same as in Asuswrt-Merlin 270.26b, with an increased delay between DHCP requests. Aggressive goes back to how the firmware was previously working (which will lead to blacklisting with some ISPs such as Charter)

I am mostly interested in new regressions in this new build.

If you experience wireless issue, let me repeat it: please do a factory default reset, then try again with just a basic configuration. Some of those tweaks you were using previously under 270 might no longer work as expected under 354.

Please look at the complete changelog for all the other details. While build 27 focuses on the 354 merge, there are still one or two additional bugfixes that were already in the pipeline.

Going to install this now, but i am assuming that the iptables support is still there?

Going to install this now, but i am assuming that the iptables support is still there?

What support specifically? Iptables is an integral part of Linux, and its also what makes NAT work on the router.

What support specifically? Iptables is an integral part of Linux, and its also what makes NAT work on the router.

I am sorry i meant to say ipsets

I just finished installing it, and i answered my own question ipsets are there.

THanks again for all of this work, very much appreciated

Last edited:
Not a single complaint from me, everything working wonderfully and I even saw a 10dB increase on the 2.4GHz band. Thank-you for the great work Merlin and getting it out so quickly.
I still see this error in my logs when I access my USB drive but I have seen it in all previous revisions;
smb_pwd_check_ntlmv1: incorrect password length (72)

Only been running it for about 25 minutes but everything is looking great so far on both wireless bands.

On an aside, things seemed to be working fine without restoring to defaults, but I went ahead and reconfigured anyway to be on the safe side.

Thanks, Merlin!

Last edited:
Only been running it for about 25 minutes but everything is looking great so far on both wireless bands.

On an aside, things seemed to be working fine without restoring to defaults, but I went ahead and reconfigured anyway to be on the safe side.

Me too, its working great so far (up only 1 1/2 hours) . I never restored to defaults either.

Last edited:

Thanks, Merlin!

It seems to vary between people. My RT-AC66U hasn't been reset for months, for instance. Just something that people should try if they run into any issue.

Thanks for your awesome work.
I have RT-N16 router
270.26b version works great, but newest beta 354.27 wont even boot. Cant connect via lan or wifi, only 2 leds enabled(1 PC and Power led)
No response.

Reverted back to 270 via recovery utility, but I hope u will find a way to make it work on Asus RT-N16

Thanks for your awesome work.
I have RT-N16 router
270.26b version works great, but newest beta 354.27 wont even boot. Cant connect via lan or wifi, only 2 leds enabled(1 PC and Power led)
No response.

Reverted back to 270 via recovery utility, but I hope u will find a way to make it work on Asus RT-N16

Anyone else can confirm that it doesn't boot on their RT-N16? Could be a compatibility issue with the RT-N16, I don't think Asus has released a 354 build for the RT-N16.

It seems to vary between people. My RT-AC66U hasn't been reset for months, for instance. Just something that people should try if they run into any issue.
I went ahead and restored the factory settings and then manually reconfigured my settings even though everything seemed fine. The result is my link score for my 2.4 GHz connection improved from 36 to 56.

I think I may have discovered a bug, DHCP queries are no longer showing up in my system log. If it matters all of my clients are set to static IP addresses however in previous merlin builds their DHCP queries would show up in the log. Yes I made sure I have logging them enabled.

Not a bug, but an observation. In previous versions, my MBP would wake from sleep and reconnect very quickly to the 5 GHz channel. With this driver, the reconnection takes 20+ seconds. Never seen anything like it before. Going to revert to see if the problem disappears.

Edit: Yeah, after reverting the reconnect is fast as usual. Strange. Any other MBP users out there?

Last edited:
Not a bug, but an observation. In previous versions, my MBP would wake from sleep and reconnect very quickly to the 5 GHz channel. With this driver, the reconnection takes 20+ seconds. Never seen anything like it before. Going to revert to see if the problem disappears.

Edit: Yeah, after reverting the reconnect is fast as usual. Strange. Any other MBP users out there?

I have a retina mac book, and i am getting the opposite, it now works 100% perfectly. Reconnects faster, and 100% of the time.

I changed the MTU from Automatic (1500) to 1453 so i am not sure if the new router software or the MTU change made this all happier.