What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Howdy folks,

3.0.0.4.374.33 is now available for download.

This release, which is based on Based on Asus's 3.0.0.4.374.726 GPL, has a fairly long list of changes. The highlights:

RT-N66U switch to SDK6.
Asus has now officially switched the RT-N66U to the same SDK (and wireless drivers) as used by the RT-AC66U. This new driver solves the numerous connectivity issues introduced by the 5.110 update that they attempted in the previous 3.0.0.4.3xx releases. However, this driver currently seems to suffer from a reduced signal strength and range. Therefore, I am making available an experimental version that is still based on the 5.100 driver (labeled "-sdk5" in the Experimental folder), which uses the same driver as used by Asus in the 3.0.0.4.276 release, as well as my previous 372.xx releases.

Various experimental features now moved inth the main build.
Asus has officially debuted Dual WAN and Repeater Mode in the official firmware. Therefore, I have now enabled these features (which were previously available in the experimental builds) in the regular builds. Dual WAN probably still has a few issues left to iron out, such as recovery from failover mode, but it's already usable for many users. No doubt that Asus will keep polishing it in the coming months. The Yandex DNS-based filtering option was also moved from the experimental builds into the regular build. This DNS-bsed filtering can be configured under Parental Control.

AiCloud 2.0
With 374.720 Asus has introduced AiCloud 2.0, which sports a greatly improved web interface for AiCloud.

Improved RT-AC56U support
I have implemented support for the RT-AC56U in most of the options of the robocfg tool. This includes the ability to retrieve the last MAC device seen on LAN ports, which will now be reported on the Sysinfo page, like with other router models. In addition, support for Syn Cookies was also enabled for the RT-AC56U kernel, as well as Advanced IP Routing (which fixes the Astrill VPN plugin).

Performance optimizations
Starting with this release, the firmware for all the MIPS-based routers (that means RT-N16, N66 and AC66) is now compiled with mips32r2 code enabled. This leads to general performance improvement throughout the firmware. The improvement was quite measurable when iperf was run through an OpenVPN tunnel, for example.

Also, more ASM optimizations were backported from OpenSSL 1.0.2, which led to a significant increase in SHA1 performance. The performance gain for AES was negligible, although the resulting code was a bit smaller.

Fixed Parental Control schedule not working
User Makkie2002 has rewritten part of the Parental Control code that was responsible for generating the firewall rules, which resolved issues where some schedules would not get properly applied, resulting in parental control not working.

Bugfixes over the 374 code
A few issues introduced by Asus with the 374 FW were fixed, such as the poor Samba performance on the N16/N66/AC66, the Wireless Key getting automatically focussed on the webui, and the erroneous NTP warning after changing wireless settings.. The IPv6 client list issues were also resolved.

Also some recent minidlna changes by Asus which would cause the scan to fail on very large collections were reverted. And, a long-standing memory leak in the http server was plugged.

And various other fixes: changing wireless settings no longer breaks Stealth Mode, OpenVPN keys can now be up to 4096 bits, Samba no longer sharing USB disks when you only activated its Master Browser/WINS servef functionality, and more. Please see the Changelog for complete details.

IMPORTANT:
Due to the SDK change on the RT-N66U, you *MUST* revert back to factory default and manually reconfigure your router if coming from an older firmware! The only exception is if you were previously running either the Pixie Dust release (3.0.0.4.374.32-sdk6), or a previous beta of 3.0.0.4.374.33 (except for the -sdk5 Beta, of course).

Asus also recommends doing the same for the other models, however feel free to try without doing so. It might work fine for most people, but be prepared to do a factory default reset + reconfiguration if you run into any odd issues.

And by "manually reconfigure", I really mean it. Reloading saved settings would totally nullify the action of resetting to factory defaults, since you will just end back to where you started, with all the same (possibly invalid) settings.

What's coming next:

There's currently nothing major planned for the next release yet, as after the September marathon that the various 374.32 betas were, I need a breather :) I do have a few minor things I want to take care of. One thing I want to look at for instance is switching to a simpler versioning system. With Asus switching to a numbering system that is now kinda confusing as it looks quite similar to mine, except with a smaller last digit, I think a lot of those redundant numbers can be dropped for sake of simplicity. The current plan is to see if I can easily switch to a double digit version (for example: 374.34) without creating any major issue with the build environment.

I'm also hoping to have an RT-AC68U in the coming weeks so I will be able to implement support for that new router. As usual, keep an eye on either the SmallNetBuilder forums or my Tweeter feed for the latest info. Github is also a great place to monitor if you like to watch development as it occurs - I tend to commit back to Github on a regular basis, even if it means that half-finished code might end up on Github. I like the idea of allowing an early review of code and changes by other developers, rather than dump 3 weeks of work all at once on Github :)

And as usual, I'll be keeping an eye on new source code release by Asus.

In closing, a big thank you to all the testers who provided feedback during development of this new release, as well as all those who chose to send a little "thank you" gift through Paypal - all very much appreciated!

"However, this driver currently seems to suffer from a reduced signal strength and range."

Are there any quantifiable numbers to compare the SDK6 version vs the SDK5.1 version?

"However, this driver currently seems to suffer from a reduced signal strength and range."

Are there any quantifiable numbers to compare the SDK6 version vs the SDK5.1 version?

In my tests where the router was behind one single wall, there was a 7-9 dB difference between them.

Thank you Merlin for your hard work!

IMHO ASUS should really send you their routers for free (including wifi adapters) and release GPL/SDK/whatever even before they release to public...

This aftermarket firmware is the reason why some people are buying ASUS router and not Dlink for example...

Regarding AC68U - I am also looking forward to get one too (you kidding me? I can overclock it :D)

Great work again, worth 10x the donation I just sent :)

so maybe another 9 can chip in a fiver :D

Thanks Merlin, your efforts are much appreciated.

I am having DNS issues recently. I am not 100% sure whether problems come from my ISP which fails to provide them, or provide them at first but fails to renew (I am using fiber router from my ISP set in bridge mode). Usually after few hours everything stops working unless I type destination IP manually in the browser. I have started to notice this issues on recent builds. I have set fixed WAN Google DNS for the time being to see whether the problem will go away.

Ok I encountered a bug on my RT-N66R/U after flashing. When you disable Spanning Tree Protocol (LAN -> Switch Control) and click apply. It resets the router's firmware.

Hi Merlin

Thanks for all your hard work. Ever since I flashed any version after 26b, my internet slows down tremendously. It caps at around 20-23mbps.

I have just switched back to 26b and my speed is at 100mbps, which is my provider cap.

Do you know why? I'm using N66U and on 5GHz band.

Hi Merlin

Im currently running your 3.0.0.4.246.20 build on a RT-N66U

what's best way for me to upgrade to this new version without losing any of my settings?

thanks

what's best way for me to upgrade to this new version without losing any of my settings?
Hi,

Merlin did already answer your question in his initial posting of this thread:
IMPORTANT:
Due to the SDK change on the RT-N66U, you *MUST* revert back to factory default and manually reconfigure your router if coming from an older firmware! The only exception is if you were previously running either the Pixie Dust release (3.0.0.4.374.32-sdk6), or a previous beta of 3.0.0.4.374.33 (except for the -sdk5 Beta, of course).

Asus also recommends doing the same for the other models, however feel free to try without doing so. It might work fine for most people, but be prepared to do a factory default reset + reconfiguration if you run into any odd issues.

And by "manually reconfigure", I really mean it. Reloading saved settings would totally nullify the action of resetting to factory defaults, since you will just end back to where you started, with all the same (possibly invalid) settings.
So you got now the message?

The easiest thing is to write down (or copy/paste) all your changed/personnel settings out of the current router setup. :rolleyes:

And then enter (or copy/paste) it back to the router AFTER firmware update and factory reset AFTER the upgrade. :eek:

I am already thinking that a small, nice script could do the job of saving the user settings and restoring them, without overwriting the "hidden" default settings.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
RT-N66U switch to SDK6.
Asus has now officially switched the RT-N66U to the same SDK (and wireless drivers) as used by the RT-AC66U. This new driver solves the numerous connectivity issues introduced by the 5.110 update that they attempted in the previous 3.0.0.4.3xx releases. However, this driver currently seems to suffer from a reduced signal strength and range. Therefore, I am making available an experimental version that is still based on the 5.100 driver (labeled "-sdk5" in the Experimental folder), which uses the same driver as used by Asus in the 3.0.0.4.276 release, as well as my previous 372.xx releases.

So I apologize for the stupid question...but...I have an RT-N66U.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, using the SDK6 driver nets you lower signal strength. Is that true on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands?

If I go with the experimental SDK5 build, that will give you back the previous signal levels, but what else do you lose? What are the trade offs? Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread, and if so, please point me to that thread.

Thanks!

Thx!

I'm on 3.0.0.4.374.33_0-sdk5, if anything funny I'll let you know.

Thank you Merlin for your hard work!

IMHO ASUS should really send you their routers for free (including wifi adapters) and release GPL/SDK/whatever even before they release to public...

Asus is already most supportive. They sent me an RT-AC56U ahead of release, along with pre-release code, which allowed me to get everything up and ready just in time for its release.

Hi Merlin

Im currently running your 3.0.0.4.246.20 build on a RT-N66U

You will have to reconfigure everything manually. The version jump is simply too big, plus you are jumping to a totally new wireless driver/SDK.

So I apologize for the stupid question...but...I have an RT-N66U.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, using the SDK6 driver nets you lower signal strength. Is that true on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands?

If I go with the experimental SDK5 build, that will give you back the previous signal levels, but what else do you lose? What are the trade offs? Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread, and if so, please point me to that thread.

Thanks!

The range drops on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

The SDK5 driver lacks HW acceleration on PPPoE and the Optimize for XBox option won't work. Plus, some people did report increased performance with the SDK6 version over the SDK5, so this might vary depending on your specific setup.

Ok I encountered a bug on my RT-N66R/U after flashing. When you disable Spanning Tree Protocol (LAN -> Switch Control) and click apply. It resets the router's firmware.

This is just a simple flag that gets flipped to 0, and then the router rebooted. If you lost your settings, then something else was responsible. Your nvram could have been corrupted, for example, and the reboot is what triggered the reset.

Just updated my N66U to this, As instructed I done a reset and manually reconfigured my router.

My USB-N53 adapter now connects and fluctuates between 81 - 162Mbps according to Windows. This is on 5GHz.

Also tried deleting my previous wireless profile and uninstalling / reinstalling the latest drivers and get the same results.

No matter what firmware I am on it has never connected at the full 300Mbps but it still connected somewhat higher at around 250Mbps.

Is this lower connection due to the decreased signal caused by using SDK6? My ISP provides around 34Mbps and it is still connecting at around 32Mbps so its still good.

My IOS devices on the other hand are a different story, They all run around 10Mbps slower. The best I have gotten was with my Iphone 5 it is around 25Mbps. In saying this no matter what firmware I am on it has always been the same.

Craig

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!