What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Howdy folks,

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.38 is now available. Note that this release is only available for SDK6-based devices, which means there is no RT-N16 builds, and no RT-N66 SDK5 build either. The latest firmware code doesn't work properly on the SDK5 platform, and I didn't want to delay this release any further so I decided to release it without these two builds. I might have to wait until the next time Asus releases firmware code for SDK5-based devices to get these fixed - we'll have to wait and see. For those devices, I recommend using 374.36 Beta 1 for the time being.

One of the big changes in this release is the merge with GPL code 374.2078 (which is almost the same as the ARM release 374.542, with a few additional changes specific to MIPS devices).

The 2078 merge brings a newer SDK for the N66 and AC66U devices. Furthermore, N66 has an even newer driver dated from late december, which is supposed to fix some of the issues encountered with this device. I'm unable to confirm so far if it did fix the signal strength issues on the RT-N66U as I was getting mixed results, so please give this build a try. See below for my recommendation as to how to proceed with switching from an SDK5 to an SDK6 build.

This newer SDK should also take care of the broken HW acceleration with PPPoE. Please give this a try as well if you are using a 200+ Mbps PPPoE connection.

Lastly, regarding this new SDK: I uploaded a new experimental build for the RT-N66U labeled "374.0-em". This build has a special switch enabled while building the firmware. At this point I am unsure if it will improve, or have no effect at all, on the wireless performance of the RT-N66U. If you can, please test both builds, and let me know if there's any difference in wifi performance between the two. I will provide more details on this experimental build once I start getting more feedback (as I want to ensure I don't issue a placebo) :)

Next on the list of changes is a newer wifi driver was integrated for the AC56 and AC68. Asus seems to now be compiling two different drivers for these two devices, so I'm unsure if this is to further optimize them for their respective platforms. The driver I use should be very close to the 374.542 driver (I got it a day or two before Asus released that FW, so it might be slightly different, either older or newer).

And as usual, a couple of additional fixes, all documented in the changelog (mostly dealing with regressions introduced in 374.37).

For those switching between SDK builds (N66U)
I'd like to gather some feedback concerning the wifi signal strength/performance of this new driver. To ensure we do get proper results, a factory default reset + manual reconfiguration is needed - any result done without doing this step will simply be useless. I recommend the following procedure:

1) Make a backup of your current settings, and name it "Settings-RTN66-SDK5.cfg" or something like that, so you know to which SDK those settings belonged
1a) Optional: if you want to save time, note down your DHCP static leases and port forwards. Through SSH or Run Cmd:
Code:
nvram get vts_rulelist
nvram get dhcp_staticlist
2) Check out the RSSI that you get from your router from a distant place in your house (somewhere where the signal is below -40dbM is probably a good place to test)
3) Flash with the new build (either regular or the -em experimental build)
4) Do a factory default reset
5) Manually reconfigure everything
5a) Optional: if you previously noted down vts_rulelist and dhcp_staticlist, reimport them:

Code:
nvram set vts_rulelist="what you noted"
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="what you noted"
nvram commit

6) Check again the RSSI from the same location (ideally with the same channel as you were previously using)

If you want to also test the EM build, just flash it, and measure again. No need to reset to factory default when switching between regular and EM builds.

As you can see, the goal of this new build was to merge new GPL code to resolve various issues regarding wifi, USB and HW acceleration.

Barring any major issue, next release will probably target merging with the next GPL release to implement the finalized USB HUB support (which isn't complete yet in 2078/542). There's two or three things I have in the pipeline as well that should debut in this next release if all goes as planned.

Enjoy! And remember to always specify which router model you are referring to when posting any feedback. Wireless feedback without knowing which router you are talking about is simply totally useless.

thanks Merlin! so far so good and i like the new wireless log changes

hey merlin,

would you still recommend doing a factory reset coming from sdk6? (37_1-oldusb)

cheers

Last edited:
hey merlin,

cheers

I would say yes for the N66U, as changes have been made to the wireless driver, and imo big or small. You should start off with fresh config, so that's not something later you come back to do, if you do start to have problem's.

Merlin, is there a reason for having two .38 releases for the N66U? I know they are both the same. But you have one listed under main folder, and also under the experimental folder.

Edit: nvm me for not fully reading your post.

Last edited:
Hello, Merlin. Thanks for your work.
I am the owner of RT-AC56U. Found trouble in 38_0. I installed the FW you downloaded, reset NVRAM, but when i'm enable multicast routing and efficient multicast forwarding, click "Apply" the router stops responding to any queries. After turn on/off switch - only power LED is lit. Helps to reset the NVRAM. However, after the process of enabling IPTV all repeats.
I build FW from your git and noticed that this behaviour gathered FW appeared Jan 04, 2014 (if you will).

Forgive me for my English - Google Translator my Assistant :)

switching from stock FW was a breeze. On Merlin .38 for the first time. So far so good on my AC68U. Thank you Merlin!

i went straight for the EM build since i intend to replace my AP with the N66 soon; i turned on the 2.4ghz radio for the first time and despite an odd arrangement (horizontal antennas) and not being in an ideal location, i can at the very least say that the reception is significantly greater than my e2000 AP.

I'll sit on the EM build for a while with the radio on for the sake of testing.

i did NOT do a factory reset as my previous build was SDK6 and this time my /jffs wasn't cleared from the install.

so far all is good; i haven't fully explored the firmware, yet, but everything appears to be in working order

cheers

I had *just* figured out how to compile too! I'm still compiling now as a matter of fact!

Anyway, as of now I am running the latest ASUS official firmware. Which SDK do they use? Should I do a factory reset before I load Merlin?

I had *just* figured out how to compile too! I'm still compiling now as a matter of fact!

Anyway, as of now I am running the latest ASUS official firmware. Which SDK do they use? Should I do a factory reset before I load Merlin?

Which router are you talking about? There's three or four different SDKs depending on which router you are referring to.

hey merlin,

cheers

Probably a good idea, since Asus switched to a newer SDK in this release. You could try first without resetting just to see how it looks like, but be prepared to do one if wifi doesn't work properly.

so, bad news. for some reason, my latency to everywhere is a LOT higher than it should be. going to give the non-EM build a shot in ~20 minutes to see if it's any different before i do something more drastic

again, this is the experimental version that i tested first

[edit/]

(this latency is occuring both wired and wireless.)

A factory default reset might be required then.

and no RT-N66 SDK5 build either.
How do I know if I have an SDK5 build? I have an RT-N66U which is virgin in that I have never upgraded from the original stock firmware (3.0.0.4.270) from when I bought the router about 6 months ago. Can I use your new release?

Well I went ahead with the em build with ur special button enabled LoL. I will see how the wireless holds up over the next couple day's. As I am sure if any issue's appear I will hear about it from others using the internet over the wireless, and will test to see if DNLA streaming is working good.

Hi RMerlin,

I just flashed an RT-AC68U with 3.0.0.4.374.38 and almost immediately noticed a problem with the Reboot functionality on my router with this firmware version.

Basically any setting change that invokes a reset, will leave the router in an unresponsive state. This includes a regular Reboot through the Web GUI or recessed Reset button on the back of the router.

The only way to recover is to power off and on the router.

(I performed a factory reset several times and flashed the .38 FW again as well, with the same result.)

This doesn't occur with any previous Merlin builds or original Asus Firmware for this router.

Thanks for your support and time.

Tcpdump problem

Hello Merlin,

first, thanks for the great job!
Second, im trying to use tcpdump on the build 3.0.0.4.374.36_beta1 and when i do start capturing the packets, my internet stop working until i stop the tcpdump. Any idea?

I did install it using opkg, and i am running a simple command as "tcpdump host 192.168.1.100 -w file"

Here's my initial impression of 374.38/374.38em from RT-N66U with regards to signal strength according to inSSIDer.
-38em in 5GHz band is significantly better than .38 by 10dB.
-38em in 2.4GHz band is better than .38 by not much(about 3dB).

Comparing signal strengths from the same position where I usually use my laptop(about two walls away) according to N66's wireless log.

a. 374.38 @60dB 5GHz band----->signal strength 80%
b. 374.38em @55dB 5GHz band-->signal strength 87%
c. 374.38 @46dB 2.4GHz band---->signal strength 90%
d. 374.38em @43dB 2.4GHz band->signal strength 93%

Note: Both 5GHz shows full bar @300Mbps connection rates @40MHz width.
Both 2.4GHz shows full bar @144Mbps connection rate @20MHz width.

Last edited:
Here's my initial impression of 374.38/374.38em from RT-N66U with regards to signal strength according to inSSIDer.
-38em in 5GHz band is significantly better than .38 by 10dB.
-38em in 2.4GHz band is better than .38 by not much(about 3dB).

Comparing signal strengths from the same position where I usually use my laptop(about two walls away) according to N66's wireless log.

a. 374.38 @60dB 5GHz band----->signal strength 80%
b. 374.38em @55dB 5GHz band-->signal strength 87%
c. 374.38 @46dB 2.4GHz band---->signal strength 90%
d. 374.38em @43dB 2.4GHz band->signal strength 93%

Note: All shows full bar and 300Mbps connection rates with my wireless client.

Thanks for the detailed results. How does it compare with previous firmwares?

I'm wondering if this new driver (with or without EM enabled) improved wifi enough to obsolete the SDK5 builds.

wireless range is much better than asus firmware 542

68U , thanks :D

I saw a few people reporting that 542 had worse performance than 501, so the driver I got from Asus might actually be closer to the 501 driver than the 542 one.