What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.51 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Hi everyone

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.51 is now available for download. The highlights of this release are:

• Support added for the RT-AC3200.
  • End of support for the RT-N16. I need to cut down on the number of supported models as testing and supporting them all has become too time-consuming for a single developer. I will leave all the existing RT-N16-related code in place, so other developers can easily take over from here and provide their own RT-N16 releases. However I will no longer extend any support for that model, and there is no guarantee either that compatibility won't break at some point in the future.
  • The Wireless Log page has been completely redesigned. The display is now formatted as a table, and will automatically refresh itself using Ajax technology. In addition, clients connected to a Guet network will be marked as such, with the G flag.
  • Support was added for a new Entware repository for ARM-based routers.
  • The original NAT loopback was re-added, and is now user-selectable (between None, Asus, and Merlin). I recommend using Merlin for MIPS routers. For ARM routers with the Trend Micro engine, I applied a few tweaks to attempt to make my NAT loopback code work with it (so far it's working fine on my own router), but your own results may vary, so experiment with both. I expect Asus's own loopback to be hopefully fixed with their next release.
  • The RT-AC66U wireless driver was reverted to the 376.49_5 release, following multiple reports of new issues with 378.50.
  • Security updates: Samba was patched against CVE-2015-0240. Note that CVE-2015-0204 and CVE-2013-01813 were already resolved in 378.50.
  • Resolved connectivity issues for Beeline customers
  • USB-shared printer support should be more reliable (issues involving print jobs not fully completing should be resolved), through patches and updates provided by stsichler.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Thank you so much for your effort and dedication Merlin! Greatly appreciated!

EDIT: is factory reset needed if upgrading from 378.50 (RT-AC68U)?

Sorry, all good. Just found this inside your README-merlin.txt file:

"Installation ------------ Simply flash it like any regular update. You should not need to reset to factory defaults (see note below for exceptions). You can revert back to an original Asus firmware at any time just by flashing a firmware downloaded from Asus's website.

NOTE: resetting to factory default after flashing is strongly recommended for the following cases:

- Updating from a firmware version that is more than 3 releases older
- Switching from a Tomato/DD-WRT/OpenWRT firmware..."

Last edited:
Is this based on the latest FW for the Asus AC3200 .4145 or the earlier release ?

Hi, using a AC56U, with firefox and win 8.1.

I updated from .50 to .51, without resetting to factory defaults.
When i use WinSCP to browse to jffs partition, it seems empty. I can't create folders/files either. I tried formatting on reboot option (and of course i have jffs partition + custom scripts option checked), but it still shows empty. Is this me doing something wrong, maybe i'm forgetting something? It's just that when i did my previous fw upgrades, it didn't "break" jffs functionality.

Can i run some commands to check if it works correctly? Tanks :)

Is this based on the latest FW for the Asus AC3200 .4145 or the earlier release ?

It's still based on 4129, which is the latest GPL available.

When i use WinSCP to browse to jffs partition, it seems empty. I can't create folders/files either. I tried formatting on reboot option (and of course i have jffs partition + custom scripts option checked), but it still shows empty. Is this me doing something wrong, maybe i'm forgetting something? It's just that when i did my previous fw upgrades, it didn't "break" jffs functionality.

The JFFS partition is never guaranteed to remain intact after a firmware update - there's a highlighted warning shown on the firmware upgrade page. 378.51 saw the RT-AC56U switch to a 64 MB partition size, so the JFFS partition was reduced. Enable the option to format the JFFS. Reboot a first time, wait about 5 minutes, then reboot a second time.

Already running on 378.51. Thanks for the hard work.
Is it just on my router or did I just found a tiny bug?
Traffic Analyzer is showing a great traffic graph. After selecting todays date again under "Last date", the graphic is changed. Todays graphic is only shown, selecting date+1 (or tommorow if you like).

The RT-AC66U wireless driver was reverted to the 376.49_5 release, following multiple reports of new issues with 378.50.
Might have helped here: with 51 Beta 1 I have not experienced the issue I had with 378.50 so far, so I will definitely install 51 now.

Run "df" command and if jffs partition is 64Mb should look like this
Code:
df
/dev/mtdblock4 64256 2244 62012 3% /jffs

Another great job. I love the new wireless log. It actually gives you useful information now :)

thx for new relase.
RT-n66u
in wifi tab, wpa key is visible by default, but i think it should be hide ?

thx for new relase.
RT-n66u
in wifi tab, wpa key is visible by default, but i think it should be hide ?

It has always been visible to me, in all firmware flavours.

(ac87u)Upgraded from the .51 beta and everything now working perfectly even apps showing up in bandwidth and traffic analysis pages! :)

Thought I would also mention no issues on iOS devices since disabling beamforming a few days ago (ap isolated already enabled), today it feels like I finally got the router I paid for months ago - thank you very much!

Wireless -> Proffesional, there is an option for AC and universal, since disabling both I've had no issues with iPhone 6+ and iPad air on latest iOS, I also notice the wifi connection now establishes instantly as opposed to taking a few seconds, I am running 5Ghz only.

Successfully updated to 378.51 from 378.50. No issues so far. The new wireless log is very nice.

*The reason for disabling was an attempt to resolve the disconnects/connection hanging (wifi link up but no traffic passing) I was seeing on all iOS devices (also have Iphone 5 on ios7), so far so good for all devices since disabling beamforming.

Up and running this morning on my AC87R. Going to let it smoke in for today and then re-eanble the traffic monitor and adaptive QOS.

*The reason for disabling was an attempt to resolve the disconnects/connection hanging (wifi link up but no traffic passing) I was seeing on all iOS devices (also have Iphone 5 on ios7), so far so good for all devices since disabling beamforming.

I might have to give that a shot. My households been complaining of iOS devices dropping offline in the same fashion. They usually toggle Airplane mode to resolve it temporarily.

Both NAT Loopback choices seem to not work now. In the beta I had to use Asus in order to access my Synology or router web interface via my DDNS address. Now, Asus just spins and will never load and Merlin straight up says Webpage Unavailable in Chrome.

Using RT-AC68U.