What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 is now available for all supported models.

The highlight of this release:

• Merged with Asus's 380_2697 GPL. This brings MU-MIMO support for the RT-AC87U and newer models, and resolves IPTV issues.
  • Experimental support for codel and fq_codel for Traditional QoS on ARM models. Note that Traditional QoS is currently broken for all SDK7 models, which means only the RT-AC56U and RT-AC68U are known to still be working. Also, initial testing has shown next to no real advantage of fq_codel versus the original sfq packet scheduler, so this remains a purely experimental feature. User feedback will determine if this feature will remain in future releases or not.
  • NAT Passthrough setting now allow you to determine whether or not to use the NAT helpers. Default Asus behaviour has been to either block the port, or allow it AND enable the NAT helper.
  • Webui enhancements. The DNSFilter page and the DHCP Static leases page now integrates with Asus's networkmap. In addition, the DHCP page now has sortable columns.
  • Daily/Monthly traffic report has been fixed on the newer models (RT-AC88U and up). Note that you STILL need to keep NAT acceleration disabled for these to return accurate results.
  • Multiple security fixes to Samba 3.6 were ported from OpenWRT, see the changelog for the list of CVEs addressed.
  • Improvements to OpenVPN: fixes to Exclusive DNS mode for clients, and added a new button that will revert OpenVPN settings to their factory default values.
  • miniupnpd was updated to 2.0, OpenSSL to 1.0.2h, and Tor to 0.2.7.6.

I'm interested in hearing about users' feedback regarding sfq vs fq_codel on any of the supported models (RT-AC56U or RT-AC68U). Fixes to newer models will have to come from Broadcom and/or Asus, problems seem tied to the recent switch to GMAC3 for the internal architecture used by the wifi + Ethernet interfaces.

Thanks to everyone who contributed during the beta test period!

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
Up and going on router and AP (both N66U). So far, so good. I did have to restart my PC to get both web UI's to display smoothly on Chrome, which is different than previous behavior.

Thanks again, Merlin!

Zzzz I just wake up to this good news. Thanks RMerlin, going to test this one later today :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what the NAT helper does? My VoIP only works correctly if the SIP Passthrough is set to enable, without the NAT helper.

I have a brand new unopened 68u to throw this on in the next day or two. Might as go all out with the newest fw right from the start. I had only hoped to find a good deal to justify jumping to the 88u or 3100.

I'm hoping to make everything look as if the original router is still in place once I get this one configured and ready to go.

Does anyone know what the NAT helper does? My VoIP only works correctly if the SIP Passthrough is set to enable, without the NAT helper.

Linux's Netfilter will try to detect when something is a SIP connection, and when it does, it will try to automatically handle inbound traffic, bypassing the firewall. Some provider might need it, others don't as they have other methods of traversing through NAT.

Installed over the top of beta 1 on AC66U.
Sadly openvpn client would not provide internet.
Client 2, syslog showed initialization complete and all the ip's re-routed, but no external internet.
Internally there was access pc to pc and pc to other devices, only nothing to the outside world.

Reverted to beta 1 and all came up as soon as the router finished re-booting.
No settings changed at all.
I'll try again another day.

Do I need a factory reset if I am going to upgrade from .58 to .59 for the RT-AC87U model ?

Just upgraded both my AC68U (AP) & AC87U (Router) with the latest and greatest.
So far, so good!

@Merlin, thanks for all the hard work!

Thanks for your great work as always! fq_codel definitely helps me fighting bufferbloat on my AC68U. You might leave it in as an option, as users without bufferbloat won't bother using it anyways.

i flashed this 380.59 firmware....no factory reset, no USB inside, just firewall-start and services-start scripts are in jffs.....i will testing pppd......thank you Merlin....

DHCP Static leases page now integrates with Asus's networkmap

in this fw can i set descriptopn for offline devices (when i define dhcp static list ) ?

1) Sir i would like to know if you can add a feature of Boosting the wireless signals for about 200 MW or more just how it was on hggomes firmware ??

2) I am getting 21 MB/sec NAS transfer speeds on both 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ which is surprising , as i expected more from 5 GHZ network on my asus router.

1) Sir i would like to know if you can add a feature of Boosting the wireless signals for about 200 MW or more just how it was on hggomes firmware ??

2) I am getting 21 MB/sec NAS transfer speeds on both 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ which is surprising , as i expected more from 5 GHZ network on my asus router.
Increasing the transmit power can actually degrade the signal by introducing noise

RT-AC3200 can't upgrade 380.58_0 to 380.59_0.
After uploading system said: Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again.