What's new

AsusWRT / Merlin 380.66_4 OpenVPN DNS server setting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

armedmetallica

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have a piHole on my network, and would like the openvpn server to push the pihole's ip to clients as DNS server.

When I look at the openvpn connection log on the android client, I see the router's IP address set as the DNS server. I've tried adding dhcp-option DNS 192.168.39.9 in the custom configuration section, to no avail. It still shows (and uses 192.168.39.1, my router's ip)

Is there any way to push the .9 DNS server?

On another note, I have an OpenVPN access server on the inside network, and it does push the preferred DNS to the android client properly. I want to eventually shut that down and use just the one on the router.

Code:
push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.39.9"

I use that setup for one of my customers, works fine.

Wow a reply from the man himself!

Thanks - and it works exactly as wanted. FWIW, I have active directory, pihole and openvpn ... now after this one last piece, EVERYTHING works as wanted, in and out of network.

Hi,

I used the above code (push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.1.228") in the custom configuration but instead of replacing the default DNS, now the client is getting 2 DNS entries - the first being the default 192.168.1.1 and second being the custom one 192.168.1.228 (running Pi-Hole).

How can I get the default DNS address replaced by the .228? Or change the priority order so .228 appears first?

Thanks

Hi,

I used the above code (push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.1.228") in the custom configuration but instead of replacing the default DNS, now the client is getting 2 DNS entries - the first being the default 192.168.1.1 and second being the custom one 192.168.1.228 (running Pi-Hole).

How can I get the default DNS address replaced by the .228? Or change the priority order so .228 appears first?

Thanks

Disable the "Push DNS" option on the webui.

I can see pi-hole getting the requests but the browser is spinning forever.

Attachments

• Schermata 2019-04-01 alle 16.39.28.png
    Schermata 2019-04-01 alle 16.39.28.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 414