Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey Young

How can I activate language selection on chinese RT-AC86U. Now I have only English and Chinese language selection.
On one of old firmware from koolshare I can choose from 19 languages. On all latest and on official firmwares only 2 languages.
View attachment 30745

Have a read through this thread. May be of help;

gattaca

Just dirty-upgraded RT-AC5300 from 384.19 to 386.1. All good, apart from having to wait up to 90 minutes or so after each reboot (!) for the UI. Examining the problem, I discovered that nt_center process was at 100% for a very long time. Finally it finishes, but after reboot it takes another 90 minutes. The fix was simple. I found a 260Mb /jffs/.sys/nc/nt_center.db which was being actively written to. After researching on this forum (i.e., here), I simply deleted the contents of /jffs/.sys/nc - and viola, no more waiting for UI after reboot. I hope someone finds it useful.
Some of us ran into this huge DB during the prior 384.19 upgrades. We removed it without issues b/c it filling up the JFFS. This seems to be a good tip to substantially reduce the long wait times being reported until the GUI responds. I'm surprised no one else picked up on @Maksym posting. For the pros, any thoughts on making this an "if you can" recommended step for those with SSH access to the routers? From the GUI and JFFS format might also do it? Thoughts? Stay safe, stay alive!

Akbaar

Occasional Visitor
And no screen message in your browser?
yes it only says not conected.
i tried 192.168.1.10

firmware restoration reaches 93% and then it fails...
no way i can access the router on any browser. i tried chrome, and edge. and opera ...

the router power led is static ON , and windows cant identify

EDIT: the router keeps restarting and then power led blinking, than static light after 3 min it restarts again

dave14305

Part of the Furniture
not at all...

in windows network settings it says unindentified

EDIT: i read somehwere in ASUS forums that you can reflash the router thru tftp via lan ports... but there is no explanation on how to do it or step to do it... you think this will help? how one can reflash the router thru tftp via lan ports?

thank you for your time
As mentioned above, you need to set a manual IP on your Ethernet 2 NIC since the DHCP server isn’t available in Rescue Mode.
But instead of using the Utility, browse to http://192.168.1.1/

gattaca

As mentioned above, you need to set a manual IP on your Ethernet 2 NIC since the DHCP server isn’t available in Rescue Mode.
But instead of using the Utility, browse to http://192.168.1.1/
I've done this too many times to admit on 384.19....
a) Make sure you manually set the IP to be in the same subnet on the Windows box for the default 192.168.1.11 would work.
b) Then connect your PC's LAN port direct to the LAN PORT 1 on the router (I've been told this is the preferred port over the years).
c) Then follow the factory reset instructions exactly as stated on Asus's site for your router model. NOTE: The "factory reset" instructions vary by router model. Use your specific model's instructions. (This little gotcha burned me very badly per above as my model was slightly different than some others...)
c1) See here for "Method 1" which lists the RT-AC5300 -> https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039077
c2) (Long shot) Maybe attempt a NVRAM clear? (Though I would think a factory reset would do that?)
How? Looking at the router from the back, press the WPS button on the left hand side for 30 seconds as you turn the power for the router on. This will clear the NVRAM, and all settings. Then reboot the router, then power it off.
d) Then attempt your recovery using the recovery tool (2.1.0.2 - 2018/07/23) for that model. -> https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT...SUS-WiFi-Routers/RT-AC5300/HelpDesk_Download/
e) I admit, it is very odd you are reaching 93% and then it is dying.

Edited: if this does not work, then I'm out of experiences to help. I just added a possible NVRAM clear to make sure everything is gone. A, B, C, D recovered one of my AC86U when I was about to toss it in the recycling pile last year. YMMV.

Last edited:

azrulex

New Around Here
upgrade to 386.1_2 for my rt-ac88u (router) & rt-ax86u (node). Recently bought ax86u so just want to try as node 1st (replaced rt-ac68u). No issue during firmware upgrade. Both routers reset to default factory after upgrade. However I noticed at times, all devices will connect or switch to my main router instead of node even though those devices near to node (even my smart tv located right beside node). Tried enable roaming assistance but still the same. As of now, I had to force some devices to connect to node. Appreciate any solution for this.

barutchiev

Regular Contributor
AC66U_B1, since 384.19 and now 386.1_2 the web interfact to the router runs incredibly slow of often won't resolve. I've rebooted of course and tried from muliple devices, laptop, android 11 phone etc... The router is working, speeds are good and everything as you'd expect expect the web interface is basically unable to be access the majority of the time.

Anyone experienced this? Any solutuons? Thank
I have the same model and I have no problems. I restored the system settings before 5-6 firmware versions

NX3

Occasional Visitor
I have the same model and I have no problems. I restored the system settings before 5-6 firmware versions
Thanks for the responce. Ok so I need to reset it I guess to get control back or do anything, I can't see any other option but loathed to do that without making a note of all the settings.

Akbaar

Occasional Visitor
I noticed, ASUS restoration tool when it reaches 98% the router collapses and the ethernet port restarts, as i see windows says its discconected. than the router restarts itself and enter recovery mode again by itself...

any other way to force flash fimrware?

Wrkdbf_Guy

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. The earliest ones I've seen are 384.19 > 386.1 at the beginning of this thread, and subsequently 386.1 >> 386.1_2 or 384.19 > 386.1_2.

I'm on 384.17. Do I need to flash every version? Should I do a factory reset before dirty flashing? I used to be much more trigger happy flashing the latest and greatest but have become very very risk averse!
Hi Ray, I updated from 384.17 to 386.1. No need to flash each intermediate firmware. Below is a post where I describe how I did mine.

Bill

Reactions: ray

Akbaar

Occasional Visitor
I had better luck with this recovering directly on the router from browser at 192.168.1.1 than the recovery tools

View attachment 30746
omg yes !! thats the answer!! :eek::eek::eek:

one thing to be clear, U MUST ENTER THE GATEWAY ---> 192.168.1.1 in windows connection settings.
then go to browser and enter 192.168.1.1

I cleared the NVRAM. than flashed with recent Merlin firmware

I am back...

EDIT: also for source i used

go to flashing section

Jeffrey Young

Hi Ray, I updated from 384.17 to 386.1. No need to flash each intermediate firmware. Below is a post where I describe how I did mine.

Bill

@ray Just to add .... You will need to do a fresh setup though once flashing 386.1 as, starting with 384.19, the router credentials are encrypted. If you do a dirty flash, you will loose access to the router.

AntonK

Very Senior Member
omg yes !! thats the answer!! :eek::eek::eek:

one thing to be clear, U MUST ENTER THE GATEWAY ---> 192.168.1.1 in windows connection settings.
then go to browser and enter 192.168.1.1

I cleared the NVRAM. than flashed with recent Merlin firmware

I am back...

EDIT: also for source i used

go to flashing section

Good news!

aex.perez

Regular Contributor
i dont understand... you mean i download the tool via edge browser?
One other tip with the restoration tool. In my case, Windows 10, multiple LAN adapters (some virtual). I have to disable all but the one LAN adapter I'm using for the restoration tool/firmware in order for it to find the Router. Might work for you...

Igor

Regular Contributor
What are your values for nvram at 386.1_2?
RT-AC68U, NVRAM usage: 64414/65536 bytes
Is this normal?

Akbaar

Occasional Visitor
One other tip with the restoration tool. In my case, Windows 10, multiple LAN adapters (some virtual). I have to disable all but the one LAN adapter I'm using for the restoration tool/firmware in order for it to find the Router. Might work for you...
that is true, i also read somewhere its good for gaming low latency

so i have disabled them all in device manager

jpthsd

Regular Contributor
well,,,I am pretty stable at 386.1 ....all I need is the stable AiMesh main Router AC86U with node AC86U ,,no special port forwarding, nor VPN,,,been weeks stablized...not sure I should be upgrading/flashing to 386.1_2....kinda worried of destablizing my AiMesh node 386.1 :) LoL...I will wait!! maybe 386.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online