What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 Beta is now available for all supported model. This release introduces major changes to OpenVPN client handling, and also introduces the ability to generate QR Codes to make it easier to connect your mobile clients to your Wifi network.

July 18th: Beta 3 has been uploaded. Changes since beta 2:
Code:
b450eefd91 Updated documentation
352ab973d5 inadyn: handle Freedns authentication errors as such; improve error logging
dbfafff825 openvpn: only set error state in nvram on fatal config errors
c157287738 libovpn: only enforce DNS exclusive for a client if the rule has no remote IP specified
8a80d88fa1 Bump revision to beta 3
2c88c8ee59 rc: remove code handling cleanup of old 1.xxx TrendMicro signatures
7a37a1eaed libovpn: add log message when creating RPDB rule for OVPN_RGW_ALL mode

July 10th: Beta 2 has been uploaded. Changes since beta 1:
Code:
9cb6ddbd04 Updated documentation
8265c34be5 Bumped revision to beta 2
00e83f928e libovpn: fix excluding WAN clients from DNS exclusive rules
f90976e0cc libovpn: fix logging of WAN routing rules
dd026dedfb iptables-1.4.3: fix fullcone output formatting
28363cc181 webui: Network Analysis page - dismiss preset list when clicking within the page
f8eb51d721 openvpn: fix setting VPN client state/errorno on connection error
483ebc9fa9 rom: Only source profile.add when custom configs enabled (#765)

NOTE: On first boot with 386.3, you must either force-refresh the browser page (shift-reload), or clear your browser cache. Failure to do so will prevent the new QR codes from being properly displayed, due to an old cached CSS.

The highlights of this release:

• QR Codes can now be generated both on the Network Map (first index page of the webui), or on the Guest Network page. QR Codes are supported by iOS as well as most modern Android mobile devices (see your device's documentation for more information on how to use it)
  • Introducing VPN Director, which replaces the previous per-client Policy routing rules with a centrally managed page. More details in the Wiki: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/VPN-Director , as well as in the VPN Director preview thread (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/vpn-director-testing.73122/).
  • OpenVPN routing handling was rewritten, allowing the implementation of VPN Director, but also bringing additional fixes and improvements
  • OpenVPN DNS handling was revised, resolving various quirks and issues related to it
  • Improved OpenVPN kill switch behavior, it can now be used with clients set to route All traffic through
  • Component updates: nano (5.7), curl (7.76.1), dnsmasq (2.85-openssl), openvpn (2.5.3), getdns (1.7.0), stubby (0.4.0)

Please review the Changelog for more details.

Things in particular need of testing:

Please keep discussions on the topic of this specific beta release. Off-topic posts will be ignored, moved or deleted based on my mood at the time.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
Known issues:
  • VPN Director rules for WAN clients aren't escaping DNS Exclusivity (i.e. they are still forced to use the VPN DNS). Fixed in beta 2.
  • Issues with providers that are blindly pushing Windows options like register-dns. (Fixed in beta 3, made OpenVPN only set error state for fatal config errors)

Last edited:
Factory reset advised if coming from 386.3 Alpha 2 (ddd) ? Or is a dirty flash good.

Factory reset advised if coming from 386.3 Alpha 2 (ddd) ? Or is a dirty flash good.
Just flash on top of it. Nothing wonky happened with nvram storage during the alpha test cycle, and upgrading from previous releases will automatically migrate old policy rules into VPN Director.

Just flash on top of it. Nothing wonky happened with nvram storage during the alpha test cycle, and upgrading from previous releases will automatically migrate old policy rules into VPN Director.

Will do. Thanks Merlin !!

Dirty up on both RT-AX86U's with no problems.

Let's GO!

EDIT: Filthy upgrade from the most recent Alpha on just the APs. No issues to report. Will reboot them in about 15 mins. All devices re-connected fine. Family didn't even notice. #winning

2nd EDIT: Will upgrade the main router tonight, wiping out my massive 19-day uptime... heh heh. Reset the clock!

Speed test checks out. 2nd reboot done. All systems go.

hKTIHE5.png

Last edited:
With only an hour of uptime after rebooting a couple of times post flashing, and the stable nature of the Alpha's, I want to predict this is ready for release without any further changes required. :)

With only an hour of uptime after rebooting a couple of times post flashing, and the stable nature of the Alpha's, I want to predict this is ready for release without any further changes required. :)
L&LD has spoken.

Dirty upgrade - 4 OVPN clients with selective and policy routing up and running. All looks and feels good.

I have just added beta1 to my RT-AX86U and it's working fine...
All routing working, tested add and remove rules as working fine.

Thank you RMerlin!!!

Uptime0 days 2 hour(s) 21 minute(s) 46 seconds

Great on the GT-AC2900...thanks again!

Giving the VPN Director a spin now that it's on my router. Love it. Have two OpenVPN clients configured and testing out toggling between them with various policy rules. Very nice.

Anything you can do in regards to utilizing the gaming port? Making it even better? I’m on fiber so other QoS options only hinder me

Dirty upgrade RT-AC68U everything looks good so far.

@Xrsenal, give up already on the gaming port!

No such thing.

A network is either optimized or not. There is no such thing as getting 110%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!