What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 RT-AX88U VPN no longer able to reach LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

affnaff

New Around Here
I updated to 388.2 yesterday. I am able to setup my OpenVpn server as I had before in 388.1 and able to connect to it no problem. However, I no longer have access to LAN at all, not even the router itself (even via the iPhone AsusRouter app).
I tried to do a full hard reset + set it all up from scratch and I still encounter the same issue. I only have one subnet so I don't think this is a routing table issue (I never had to set up routing tables before, I expect I would not have to in 388.2?).

Been using Merlin for years now (Love it!), this is the first major hickup I encounter. I read on other forums some have reverted to 388.1 and fixed the problem but hoping there is another way.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
I updated to 388.2 yesterday. I am able to setup my OpenVpn server as I had before in 388.1 and able to connect to it no problem. However, I no longer have access to LAN at all, not even the router itself (even via the iPhone AsusRouter app).
I tried to do a full hard reset + set it all up from scratch and I still encounter the same issue. I only have one subnet so I don't think this is a routing table issue (I never had to set up routing tables before, I expect I would not have to in 388.2?).

Been using Merlin for years now (Love it!), this is the first major hickup I encounter. I read on other forums some have reverted to 388.1 and fixed the problem but hoping there is another way.

Thanks all.
Did you find any resolution for this? I also ran into this issue on my AX86U on 388.2 and OpenVPN, I changed the VPN Subnet / Netmask and it did restore access to the LAN, but still cannot access the router itself (can ping but no web or app access). Ping previously worked but wouldn't pass other traffic, I've tried different configs and turning off static routes, firewalls, etc and nothing seems to have an effect. I also find LAN access even to the clients that are allowing connections now are much slower than previously.

I actually did. I think this was unrelated to the update (or was it?). Not sure. What solved my problem was disabling compression in the VPN server advanced settings and I think I also changed HMAC Authentication to SHA 1 though I don't thin k the later was the cause.

I actually did. I think this was unrelated to the update (or was it?). Not sure. What solved my problem was disabling compression in the VPN server advanced settings and I think I also changed HMAC Authentication to SHA 1 though I don't thin k the later was the cause.
Dang, I already had compression disabled, changed the HMAC to sha1 from auto and no change. Did you by chance upgrade to the latest 388.2_2 realease? I'm about to give that a try.

I have not... I am still under 388.2.
A few months ago I also had issues because of this https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-custom-configuration-changing-on-its-own.78849/
It case it helps...
I had to hard reset and reset all settings in my router because the some malware script was getting written randomly (they seem to say it is malware that should have been fixed but I never got to the bottom of it). My router has never been accessible from the internet (except the VPN), no ports forwarded, no UPNP, so not sure how malware could have gotten to it.
Good luck

I also have no forwarded ports or access to the router except when local or VPN in. I am able to access clients on the network, but it is slow and cannott access the router itself from VPN. I set logging to 6 and see the below error happening:
15:54:05 ovpn-server1[27774]: client/172.56.x.x.:14653 MULTI: bad source address from client [192.0.0.2], packet dropped

no clue why its referencing 192.0.0.2 , current VPN client is on 192.168.7.2

Hi there,

I had some serious connectivity stability issues with 3.88.2. Connection would drop any time I changed WAN or LAN settings aiming to tweak Open VPN, then the only way to resolve way to hard reset my RT-AX86U. After installing 3.88.2.2 these issues have disaappeared.

Definitely an issue with 388.2 and 388.2.2 - I just rolled back to what i was previously running 388.1B3 and my issues connecting to router from client connected on Ovpn is resolved. @RMerlin any clue what this maybe? I tried everything I can think of, ovpn settings, firewall on/off, dns director, static routes off, different vpn subnets. I was able to slowly connect to other lan devices after changing subnets but no access to the router on either http/https or app like I've always been able.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!