What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin and Wake On Wan (WOW)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BEF33

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,
I put again my problem in this section with precisions...
The WOW is working. But I want to make the final tests.
1) So to do that, I shut down the NAS by web interface and reboot the rooter ONLY. I test it : the WOW is working.
2) BUT, if I reboot the modem-router in addition, the WOW doesn't work any more.
In this case, I need to switch on the NAS manually or by WOL.
And after, switch off the NAS by DS finder. And now, it's possible again to switch it on by WOW.

I can't find what is wrong !!!
Is there a setting I forgot or don't know in my modem ciscoX3000 or in merlin ?
It seems a link is lost between the modem and the router after when the modem is rebooted.

But you see, if there is a problem with the power supply of my home temporarely, the modem reboot automatically (so the router, and the NAS switch off), and it will be not possible to wow the NAS again.....pity....

Thanks for help if it is possible...

Cheers

Use a UPS. I have one on all my customers' routers, modems and switches. Some initially balk at the idea to spend more money on their network infrastructure, but a single power glitch is all it takes for them to ask me to install as many UPS' as needed.

Maybe not the solution you asked for, but this is something most people ignore.

I found the solution.
- I'm totally agree regarding the UPS. I've got one Eaton 5P1550 for Nas, modem, router and PC. But you see, I can't resigned to use the UPS to hide the problem.
To WOW the NAS, I was using the DDNS of synology, and I was wrong thus this DDNS is for a spécific use, for example to openvpn . Without talking about some problem of update of the IP of the DDNS synology...
Now, I use a DDNS Afraid with an update script in JFFS partition. And the WOW is working now beatifully.
- Regarding the static ARP, I've got also a script in JFFS partition.

So, sincerely many thanks for your help L&LD and Steffe, thanks again for your installation guide of Merlin L&LD. Without snbforums I discoverd recently, I will be probably dead or sad to not succeed in.
See you ;-)

I don't know if it helps anyone, but back in the day I had a similar problem. I wanted to be able to perform a WOL from the WAN using a magic packet without having to log in to the router's UI and manually triggering it for this specific device. So I created a permanent ARP entry on the router like this:

Code:
ip neighbor add 192.168.1.254 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev br0 nud permanent

Then I created a port forward so that a connection attempt on that port would be forwarded to 192.168.1.254, which caused the router to push a frame onto the LAN with the ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff MAC. If the packet had the right payload, the device would wake. I can't remember now why I didn't create a direct forward to the MAC of the device in question, but there was a reason.

Last edited: