What's new

asuswrt merlin build support ssh Tunneling protocol?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sabot105mm

Regular Contributor
i know tomatousb supports this function, and with merlins' build being based on tomato i would think there is a way to do it. if so how do i do it.

You can enable port forwarding on the Administration -> System page if that's what you are referring too (forwarding a local port through an SSH tunnel). That can then be used as a quick'n'dirty VPN, where your SSH client could redirect local port 8888 to a remote port 80 (a NAS, for example).

You can enable port forwarding on the Administration -> System page if that's what you are referring too (forwarding a local port through an SSH tunnel). That can then be used as a quick'n'dirty VPN, where your SSH client could redirect local port 8888 to a remote port 80 (a NAS, for example).

How do I Set the ssh Remote Port TCP port number that you want to use to connect to your router from the internet?
http://www.hirahim.com/blog/wp-content/tomato_preferences.png
Yes, this is the ONLY thing that's holding me back.

The remote port is what you enter into PuTTY on the machine you're using to tunnel into the home network.

Help us, Merlin! I've looked all over and cannot find this info.

Last edited:
The WAN port is not configurable at this time. Asus has started implementing SSH support into the stock firmware, so I don't want to waste my time implementing this, only to see Asus implement it in a different way a few weeks from now, forcing me to rewrite my code. So I'm waiting for them to finalize SSH support on their own end.

Hi Merlin,

Ok, the port is not configurable, but to which ports it redirects?
Currently, there is only an option saying "Allow SSH port forwarding" but has no info to which port.

Thanks!

Hi Merlin,

Ok, the port is not configurable, but to which ports it redirects?
Currently, there is only an option saying "Allow SSH port forwarding" but has no info to which port.

Thanks!
When you activate SSH the UI will change to something like this:
upload_2019-4-29_16-51-40.png

That's where you can change the port from default 22

When you activate SSH the UI will change to something like this:
View attachment 17287
That's where you can change the port from default 22

Mutzli, thanks for the reply.
I got that screen. What I want to know is to which port it redirects. Example : in tomato firmware, you can set port 22 to redirects to 2222. As Merlin said, in current firmware you can't specify to which port it will redirect (like the 2222) but you can forward ports (there is an option to enable it). So my question is, ok, you can't specify the port but to which port it redirects?

Thanks!

Mutzli, thanks for the reply.
I got that screen. What I want to know is to which port it redirects. Example : in tomato firmware, you can set port 22 to redirects to 2222. As Merlin said, in current firmware you can't specify to which port it will redirect (like the 2222) but you can forward ports (there is an option to enable it). So my question is, ok, you can't specify the port but to which port it redirects?

Thanks!
This feature enables SSH forwarding or tunneling. On a Windows PC, you would configure the local and remote port within PuTTY. See the PuTTY docs:
https://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.71/htmldoc/Chapter3.html#using-port-forwarding

This feature enables SSH forwarding or tunneling. On a Windows PC, you would configure the local and remote port within PuTTY. See the PuTTY docs:
https://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.71/htmldoc/Chapter3.html#using-port-forwarding

Sorry guys, I believe that I am not correctly explaining what I want...

Let's take a look at the link sabot105mm sent in a previous post;

You have 2 fields; PORT (22) and REMOTE PORT (2222). In tomato, you can configure both. In Merlin's you can set only the PORT and the REMOTE PORT field doesn't even show up.
Merlin said in his last post that this is due to the fact ASUS stock firmware does not allow to change the REMOTE PORT. Ok, I got that, but what is the current value? Since the option doesn't even show up, I don't know what is the default value... Is it 2222 for example? Someone can confirm that?

Thanks

Let's take a look at the link sabot105mm sent in a previous post;

You have 2 fields; PORT (22) and REMOTE PORT (2222). In tomato, you can configure both. In Merlin's you can set only the PORT and the REMOTE PORT field doesn't even show up.
Merlin said in his last post that this is due to the fact ASUS stock firmware does not allow to change the REMOTE PORT. Ok, I got that, but what is the current value? Since the option doesn't even show up, I don't know what is the default value... Is it 2222 for example? Someone can confirm that?

Thanks
It's also 22 or whatever port you select there is your remote AND local access port.

I think you might be confusing two different things. The subject of this thread was about "tunnelling" over SSH. That is what Merlin's option "Allow SSH Port Forwarding" enables. This is what @dave14305 linked to.

Quite separate from that is enabling external access to the SSH server. This is what is shown in the Tomato screen shot you referred to. As Merlin and @Mutzli said, the external port is the same as the internal port. 22 by default.