What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and Asus warrenty

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wizard

New Around Here
I have just bought Asus 86U router. My questions are:

1. If I upgrade with Merlin firmware, will my warrenty be void?

2. Key benefit to use Merlin firmware as opposed to the latest Asus one?

Reactions: a5m
I have just bought Asus 86U router. My questions are:

1. If I upgrade with Merlin firmware, will my warrenty be void?
Nope, as Merlin is in close cooperation with Asus and his firmware is accepted (he delivers an Asus approved version).
2. Key benefit to use Merlin firmware as opposed to the latest Asus one?
Read here, install and enjoy! :)

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/FAQ

Q: Will flashing this void my warranty?

A: This is a kinda grey area for which I have no definitive answer unfortunately. I have seen Asus publicly commit to supporting DD-WRT for some of their models, without any mention about it voiding your warranty. Therefore my personal opinion would be that "No, it won't void your warranty", but as the saying goes, IANAL. Your retailer might certainly have a different view on this than Asus would, too.

NOTE: CSR Sanita, after confirming w/ her supervisor, said on 2/24/2016 "We will repair the product free of cost under warranty if it does not have any physical damage. No, it won't void your warranty."

The FAQ content is old (2016). In the meantime Asus has further locked down the firmware updates (e.g. no easy downgrades) and only supports "approved/signed" firmware versions - and guess what: Merlin's version is approved. :)

So you are by sure on the save side with Asuswrt-Merlin (as the name already suggests). ;)

Just a datapoint: In July 2015 I bought a refurbished 87U for $150 with a 90 day warranty. I put the Merlin build on it immediately. At about 45 days the LAN ports failed. Asus fixed it under warranty within a week or two without any issues. Fine ever since.

Wizard , a lot of the official Asus firmware came from Merlin , you'll have no warranty issues.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!