What's new

Solved Asuswrt-Merlin on LTE-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheRobLP

New Around Here
Hello. I am using the Asus LTE-AC86U because DSL or Fiberglass is out of question where I live. I wanted to flash Merlin onto it and downloaded the firmware for the AC86U from the Merlin website. But on installation I noticed this firmware is for the DSL version only. Is there any way to make a version of Merlin for the LTE version available? I really need it. I wanted to use AIProtection and Web History, but after I noticed their overly scummy TOS and Privacy policy, I decided against their shady program. Now I want to use open-source plugins from Merlin for it. Thanks in advance for any help or replies.

Sincerely
Rob

I appreciate your time for my issue, however, I would like to wait for a reply from the developer @RMerlin . But many thanks for your input.

I would like to wait for a reply from the developer @RMerlin

Here is the answer to your question:

But on installation I noticed this firmware is for the DSL version only. Is there any way to make a version of Merlin for the LTE version available?
FYI the will you support xyz router is asked so often that there is a statement addressing these questions in post #3 the in the Asus-Merlin subforum [FAQ] READ ME FIRST before posting a question.
Q: Will you add support for model XYZ?
A: The decision whether or not to support a new model depend on a long list of factors, which may evolve over time. Right now:

- It needs to be Broadcom-based
- It needs to be widely available (not just in two or three countries)
- It needs to have high-end hardware so I don't have to fight with lack of flash or RAM
- It needs to receive frequent enough GPLs so I won't have to regularly skip it due to the GPL being outdated
- I need to have one
- I need to have the time to try supporting it
- I need to have the motivation to try supporting it

Each new model requires its own dedicated support. That means every time I work on a new firmware release, I have to work on each separate model, and I need GPL releases from Asus for each individual model, and I need to merge each of them separately. So that means if I support 10 different routers, then I need to merge in the content of 10 different GPL releases, and these need to be close enough to one another to still be compatible. The more models I support, the harder this is to accomplish, therefore I am VERY conservative regarding adding any new model.

So don't ask if/when a new model will be supported. I cannot speculate about future model support, and until I have working support for a model, I cannot answer that question.
And this question it is further addressed in the Asus-Merlin Wiki's FAQ:
Q: Will you support router "RT-xXX" from Asus?
A: Most likely not. Without having an actual router to test with, building a firmware that people would flash without me having at least confirmed it can be flashed at all would be far too risky.
If your router isn't supported by Asus-Merlin firmware then look at the forks of the Asus-Merlin firmware to see if one of the forks supports your router.

Okay, so I get it. It is almost 100% certain that this 4G router will never be officially supported. If no one is willing to make this, how would I go about learning how to do this by myself? I know the basics of coding, so maybe I could manage to make my own version, if someone pointed me in the right direction. For example, which tools do I need and which coding languages are important.

Also, regarding [FAQ] READ ME FIRST before posting a question. may I suggest to have that pinned on all relevant sub-forums? I have found this forum through a link, and since I registered purely to ask this question I never bothered to look at other categories. And I am pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Fiberglass is out of question where I live.

You might want to learn what fiberglass is... it's not fiber optics.

Okay, so I get it. It is almost 100% certain that this 4G router will never be officially supported. If no one is willing to make this, how would I go about learning how to do this by myself? I know the basics of coding, so maybe I could manage to make my own version, if someone pointed me in the right direction. For example, which tools do I need and which coding languages are important.

Coventional wisdom is to buy the modem and the router separately... get the modem that works with your ISP and get the router you want, in this case, one that is supported by Asuswrt-Merlin. Consider this to be the right direction.

Also, regarding [FAQ] READ ME FIRST before posting a question. may I suggest to have that pinned on all relevant sub-forums? I have found this forum through a link, and since I registered purely to ask this question I never bothered to look at other categories. And I am pretty sure I'm not the only one.

There is only one relevant subforum for your question about Asuswrt-Merlin called Asuswrt-Merlin.

OE

If no one is willing to make this, how would I go about learning how to do this by myself? I know the basics of coding, so maybe I could manage to make my own version, if someone pointed me in the right direction. For example, which tools do I need and which coding languages are important.

If one visits the Asus-Merlin website they'll see there is a Source Code link. That Source Code page includes a link to the Asus-Merlin GitHub Wiki page that has a section on Development that has the basics to get one started with compiling their own version/fork of the Asus-Merlin firmware.
There are specific subforums for Asus Merlin discussion and Asus Merlin AddOn discussion that is in the same Asus Wireless subgroup as the subforum (Asus AC Routers & Adapters) you chose to ask your question in. If one starts a thread in the wrong subforum, try contacting a moderator and ask them if the thread can be moved to the correct subforum.

asusmerlin.jpg

Last edited:
If one visits the Asus-Merlin website they'll see there is a Source Code link. That Source Code page includes a link to the Asus-Merlin GitHub Wiki page that has a section on Development that has the basics to get one started with compiling their own version/fork of the Asus-Merlin firmware.

There are specific subforums for Asus Merlin discussion and Asus Merlin AddOn discussion that is in the same Asus Wireless subgroup as the subforum (Asus AC Routers & Adapters) you chose to ask your question in. If one starts a thread in the wrong subforum, try contacting a moderator and ask them if the thread can be moved to the correct subforum.

View attachment 44560

Many thanks for this. I'll check it out. Regarding the wrong place for this post, thanks also. I came here from a reddit discussion, and I was convinced that this was the right place to ask. This forum was kinda confusing to navigate through the first time, so I relied on the link to be accurate.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Sincerely
Rob

I know the basics of coding, so maybe I could manage to make my own version, if someone pointed me in the right direction.

Coding basics won’t help. This project contains closed source components and is possible only with Asus support and approval. Get a modem you need for your ISP and a router you need with Asuswrt-Merlin support.

Coding basics won’t help. This project contains closed source components and is possible only with Asus support and approval. Get a modem you need for your ISP and a router you need with Asuswrt-Merlin support.
Wait. so, AsusWRT-Merlin is both approved and supported by Asus, then? I was under the impression it is a pure 3rd-party application with no relation to Asus.

Yes. Asuswrt-Merlin is Asuswrt with extra features.
Interesting. Thanks, I learned something new right there. I know I am probably getting annoying slowely, but would you happen to know who I would need to contact on Asus if I wanted to create a fork of Merlin for my Modem-Router?

Wait. so, AsusWRT-Merlin is both approved and supported by Asus, then? I was under the impression it is a pure 3rd-party application with no relation to Asus.
Take a few minutes to read about Asus-Merlin, it will answer your questions.
https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about

If one reads various posts by RMerlin (for example this one) they'll see he generally works with, and receives base code from, Asus to develop the Asus-Merlin firmware.

Edit to add: Because of the proprietary nature of some portions of the AsusWRT code it is very likely one may have problems compiling code to run on certain Asus routers that are not currently supported by Asus Merlin. As suggested above it may be better to obtain (or buy) a separate modem/gateway from your broadband provider, and buy a Asus router that is supported by the Asus-Merlin firmware.

Each model requires model-specific components. You would need to request the GPL archive for the model you want to work on (if it's not on their website), and take care of merging the GPL portions (if different from the version I merged) and the binary components specific to your model.

In short, it's requires some preliminary experience with software development, and knowing how to do three-way merges of a 1.2+ Gbps source code tarball.