What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin - Port Forwarding Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bake

New Around Here
I was having an issue with my settings for Port Forwarding on an RT-AC86U using the latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware 386.2_4.
When I add the necessary settings they simply vanish once I signoff. The only way I have found that the Port Forwarding settings will be kept is adding 0.0.0.0 in the Source IP box.
Once I do that all of the settings are saved.

The Source IP is supposed to be "Optional" but unless I add the 0.0.0.0 into the Source IP nothing is saved?

I tried a number of previous Merlin firmware versions all with the same result.
I am wondering if I am missing something on this page?

Any thoughts from those with more experience in Port Forwarding would be great!

I was having an issue with my settings for Port Forwarding on an RT-AC86U using the latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware 386.2_4.
When I add the necessary settings they simply vanish once I signoff. The only way I have found that the Port Forwarding settings will be kept is adding 0.0.0.0 in the Source IP box.

The Source IP is supposed to be "Optional" but unless I add the 0.0.0.0 into the Source IP nothing is saved?

That's odd. Same firmware and router here, and I have 6 port forwarding entries, all of which have source IP blank, and have never had a problem. I've never seen what you describe on any firmware version with the 86u. There aren't any tricks to the page, no - just "add profile", enter the settings, and "OK" should preserve them, e.g.
Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 09.24.16.png

That's odd. Same firmware and router here, and I have 6 port forwarding entries, all of which have source IP blank, and have never had a problem. I've never seen what you describe on any firmware version with the 86u. There aren't any tricks to the page, no - just "add profile", enter the settings, and "OK" should preserve them, e.g.
View attachment 33985
Thanks JacquesR for responding. In my case this ASUS 86u is a brand new ASUS router I got to act as my backup router which I decided to use as the permanent one, the other is on my shelf. I think that they are both the same 9maybe not). To make this more interesting I also found one source link below that actually instructs that 0.0.0.0 should be added as the Source IP unless of course you have a specific Source IP that you are using.

The Link: https://openmyip.com/asus-rt-ac86u-router-setup

If you have a chance try adding 0.0.0.0 as a Source IP on one of your Port Forward sets and see if it causes any issues.
Let me know what you find.

Link;

The Link: https://openmyip.com/asus-rt-ac86u-router-setup

If you have a chance try adding 0.0.0.0 as a Source IP on one of your Port Forward sets and see if it causes any issues.
Let me know what you find.
It makes no difference, as I'd expect. 0.0.0.0 is (in this case) the same as "any address". Your problem - at least as you initially articulated it - wouldn't be affected by my trying 0.0.0.0 instead of leaving it blank, though, as that would tell you nothing about why your settings aren't being saved.

But to conclude my contribution (as a complete non-expert): a) why not just enter the 0.0.0.0 rather than leaving it blank, if that results in a successful save of settings; and b) if the instructions in the link you sent were important, you'd have found them here or in the Asus-Merlin documentation.

I had the same problem with my RT-AX88U. I decided to try to script the changes I wanted to keep in the hope that they would persist during reboots. Mine was only disappearing after reboots. I connected with a terminal to check whether my jffs partition was writeable or not. After doing a "touch file" command I received a response of no space on disk. I decided to reformat the jffs partiton in the hope that would alleviate the problem. After I rebooted, "touch file" resulted in a new file and all my lost settings were available again! I deleted the new file and now everything seems to be working ok again. I would suggest maybe you try reformatting your jffs on the next reboot.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!