What's new

asuswrt-merlin R7000 + NordVPN + Pi-Hole on Rpi1 + business+ home users

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

C/*c\e/r3Y

New Around Here
Hi,

My knowledge with routers and switchs : I know what is a router and how to secure it. That it. Oh yeah im good at port forwarding for gaming server. that about it.

Can you guys help me figure out what to do.

Let me explain my nasty setup and judge if you can help me after all.
I'm not that great to explain stuffs, ill do my best.

Where i live i can't get my own internet because it a commercial zone and im not allow to have residential internet. Only business can get internet here. Up to now everything is fine?

I don't have choice at all to use the business internet that come from the business owner under me.
That also mean i don't have access to the router at all with his setup. The only thing the owner did for me is to bring a network cable in my appartement and that it.

Now the problem im facing is i need to open port and i need to reboot the router sometime. With this setup, i cant to this anymore.
I talked with the business owner about accessing the router like i usually do and it a no no because he doesnt trust me like i doesn't trust him. he doesnt know me and i don't know him.

So, the other day i was working from home and boum... no more internet...his router decide to stop routing stuff like i was scare that would happen. i called the business owner and told him that he need to reboot his router... he said to me i'll be there in 3 days because he doesn't have anyway to be here until there... I didn't have choice to wait the first time...but this cost me 3 days of work from home and a damn big headache from kid not able to watch netflix or play some game on the net. The problem came back 2 or 3 days ago but this time, I gently ask him if i can put my router by the time we find a solution. He accept.. he let me put my R7000. He called the security alarm to let me access business and let me change the router.

I was happy because since a while i want to run under a VPN and the marvellous idea came: i will run it directly from my router. so so so.. I setup nordvpn into my R7000 with merlin. It took me a while to understand how it work but i think i understand now how to set it up really quickly now.

I set all my pc and phone and my apple tv with static ip and told them to run from vpn and all the rest from the wan by telling each ip to point to vpn instead of wan. This way i can all his business will not be affected by my VPN or im probably totally wrong.

2 days pass... Business owner came at the business ... 10 minutes later my son called me on my cellphone telling me that internet is no more working.. i asked him to check our ip by going to ping.eu and told me it not the same ip as before( VPN)... exactly what i've fear... he reset the router and the worth part is: he secure my R7000 router with his information.

Today, the business owner is coming here to fix that problem we both facing. he want to play with his toy and i want to play with mine. We both want control. How do we fix this? There no isp that can plug me unless i pay 149$/month for a 30Mbps/30Mbps. This is totally rediculous when the same thing in res in 39.99

This is the total setup i figure out by scanning all that stuff on the network.

ISP MODEM link to the Router. From this router, there a switch 48 ports and it goes to pc printer tv

Do you think i could do this instead?

ISP MODEM connected to a 4 port switch, then put 2 routers in that switch | the cable he bring me upstair is plug into my R7000 router and from that 4 switch port, he'll put his router and plug his switch in to it?

This way i wont have port block and he wont access my stuff?

That bring me to my other question

On my R7000, i already had setup asuswrt-merlin and NordVPN to act as a client and business stuff is on his own non vpn stuff or whatever he want to do. My question is, can i put my Rpi 1 with pi-hole somewhere on the switch or my router that will block all the ads for us? if yes, how do i setup the this.

please be indulgeant, im french and im not thatgreat in english.

Have a great days guys!

For information, the R7000 isn't a supported device for Merlin, so you may have limited responses here. Questions regarding the router should be directed to the Xvortex developer.

For information, the R7000 isn't a supported device for Merlin, so you may have limited responses here. Questions regarding the router should be directed to the Xvortex developer.