1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asuswrt-Merlin Ver. 380.58_0 upgrade

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by makem, Apr 16, 2018.

1. makem

makem Occasional Visitor

For my RT-AC68U, I downloaded the file RT-AC68U_384.4_2.zip and extracted the file
    RT-AC68U_384.4_2.trx which I attempted to upload. I received an error message which said it was unsuccessful and I should check the version.

Thinking that the jump in version was to great I downloaded the file RT-AC68U_380.70_0.zip and attempted to install the file RT-AC68U_380.70_0.trx. I received a similar error message.

What am I doing wrong? I have never previously had any problems with upgrading the firmware.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Sanna1967

Sanna1967 Regular Contributor

Remove usb devices attached, reboot and reflash

4. makem

makem Occasional Visitor

Hi Sanna1967,

I don't have any USB devices attached and never have. However, I will reboot and try again but can you suggest which version I should use in view of the large jump?

5. DonnyJohnny

DonnyJohnny Senior Member

Just go for the latest... even the alpha 2 I see from forum quite stable...
    But do note that you need a factory reset for the big jump...
    whatever.. your current firmware is too old and need update...

6. jtp10181

jtp10181 Regular Contributor

I would try 380.62 first, I reviewed the changelog and found the following. Something might get updated with that one that allows the further updates to be installed. The change was in .60 BETA but the next stable version was 380.62.

You could also try flashing official firmware, get to the newest of that, then flash over to merlin.

7. makem

makem Occasional Visitor

Thank you. Being unfamiliar with the ins and outs of routers I always worry about bricking it. Hence I avoid updating unless it is necessary. Reading the changlelogs I see security mentioned and that is why I considered updating this time.

Is it possible to brick the router when doing these updates, or, should I not worry and always update to avoid what has happened now where two flashes seem to be advised?

8. jtp10181

jtp10181 Regular Contributor

It’s pretty rare to brick on a normal flash as long as it’s the right one for your router. Asus also has a built in recovery mode that can let you pull it out of most bricked states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. makem

makem Occasional Visitor

Thanks all for your help and advice.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!