What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin Ver. 380.58_0 upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

makem

Occasional Visitor
For my RT-AC68U, I downloaded the file RT-AC68U_384.4_2.zip and extracted the file
RT-AC68U_384.4_2.trx which I attempted to upload. I received an error message which said it was unsuccessful and I should check the version.

Thinking that the jump in version was to great I downloaded the file RT-AC68U_380.70_0.zip and attempted to install the file RT-AC68U_380.70_0.trx. I received a similar error message.

What am I doing wrong? I have never previously had any problems with upgrading the firmware.

Remove usb devices attached, reboot and reflash

Hi Sanna1967,

I don't have any USB devices attached and never have. However, I will reboot and try again but can you suggest which version I should use in view of the large jump?

Hi Sanna1967,

I don't have any USB devices attached and never have. However, I will reboot and try again but can you suggest which version I should use in view of the large jump?
Just go for the latest... even the alpha 2 I see from forum quite stable...
But do note that you need a factory reset for the big jump...
whatever.. your current firmware is too old and need update...

I would try 380.62 first, I reviewed the changelog and found the following. Something might get updated with that one that allows the further updates to be installed. The change was in .60 BETA but the next stable version was 380.62.

You could also try flashing official firmware, get to the newest of that, then flash over to merlin.

There was no non-beta release, due to limited model support
and unsolved WAN stability issues.

380.60 Beta 2 (5-July-2016)
IMPORTANT: The firmware image file format was changed by Asus.
Starting with 380.60, you will no longer be able to
flash versions older than 380.60, or Asus versions
older than 3.0.0.4.380_3000.

I would try 380.62 first, I reviewed the changelog and found the following. Something might get updated with that one that allows the further updates to be installed. The change was in .60 BETA but the next stable version was 380.62.

You could also try flashing official firmware, get to the newest of that, then flash over to merlin.

Thank you. Being unfamiliar with the ins and outs of routers I always worry about bricking it. Hence I avoid updating unless it is necessary. Reading the changlelogs I see security mentioned and that is why I considered updating this time.

Is it possible to brick the router when doing these updates, or, should I not worry and always update to avoid what has happened now where two flashes seem to be advised?

It’s pretty rare to brick on a normal flash as long as it’s the right one for your router. Asus also has a built in recovery mode that can let you pull it out of most bricked states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!