What's new

Asuswrt/MerlinWRT disable trend micro phone homing.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

133794m3r

Occasional Visitor
Is there any way to permanetly disable the web reputation service, and other such phone home things simply in the router? I want to make sure that they're never accidentally enabled.

You keep AiProtection turned off (default), you don't turn on apps analysis in QoS (and possibly all QoS, not sure), you don't use traffic analyser. But, IMO, what's the point of buying ASUS to turn off so many features? Just use a cheap router which allow alternative firmware and you are ready to go. :)

Simple really, i wanted a 5ghz router that had a decent amount of ram/cpu. and I want to premanetly disable such things. I know aiprotect has to be sneding stuff to them as it's likely safebrowsing rom google/hatever microsft has but the tm version.

Trend micro doesn't phone home without you accepting the user agreement
that pops up when you turn on any router function that is powered by trend micro. These features include: ai-protection, adaptive qos, the statistics page, etc. it would take multiple clicks to turn it on...one for the function another on the Eula. If you have accepted the agreement/turned on any of those related functions, you would need to factory reset..

Administration --restore. --factory reset

Trend micro doesn't phone home without you accepting the user agreement
that pops up when you turn on any router function that is powered by trend micro. These features include: ai-protection, adaptive qos, the statistics page, etc. it would take multiple clicks to turn it on...one for the function another on the Eula. If you have accepted the agreement/turned on any of those related functions, you would need to factory reset..

Administration --restore. --factory reset

Or sniff ipranges/dns and block in hosts or iptables.

Get the win without the lose? Unblock every once in a while for definition updates, or get definition updates manually transferred from other sources.

I'm not that paranoid about trend micro tho.

Sorry to necro this thread but seemed related to a question i have as well... there may come a time soon when my 3100 is working to perfection and im quite happy with freshs qos. Its my understanding that the trend definition file also contains the qos sorting info and if that is the case at some point i may want to lock down the updates to it to prevent any changes and just enjoy a perfectly working router. Is that possible yet?

Sorry to necro this thread but seemed related to a question i have as well... there may come a time soon when my 3100 is working to perfection and im quite happy with freshs qos. Its my understanding that the trend definition file also contains the qos sorting info and if that is the case at some point i may want to lock down the updates to it to prevent any changes and just enjoy a perfectly working router. Is that possible yet?
Locking down the router to not get updates is like putting your head in the sand. Things change often in the Internet world and your router is your home defense and Asus is a good one! Keep your devices up to date!!!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Locking down the router to not get updates is like putting your head in the sand. Things change often in the Internet world and your router is your home defense and Asus is a good one! Keep your devices up to date!!!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk
Honestly if we were talking about anything other than an asus router id agree with you. But since were not and the chances of them getting the firmware working 100% on all theyre models is pretty slim before 2030, once i get a somewhat stable setup im happy with id like to lock it down and not change a thing on it until it dies.

And that includes the trend micro stuff because id perfer to not have to possibly mess with the fresh qos down the road. Its awesome and working perfectly now. Wanna keep it that way