What's new

Asuswrt smart connect rule to favor 5ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

carlbine

New Around Here
I am new to asuswrt and i wan't to modify smart connect rule.

I wan't all devices to stay connected to 5ghz if the band is still in range.

I have a room that gets more bandwidth thru 5ghz over 2.4ghz. but smart connect keep assigning my phone to the 2.4ghz band.

My router is asus tuf ax5400

SmartConnect isn't smart. Don't use it if you want to control where your devices connect to.

The router doesn't decide where the clients connect. The clients do.

Use discreet SSIDs for each band and only connect the devices to the band you want them to use.

Another opinion: Leave the router settings at default including SmartConnect. If you want a specific client to use just one band use the Wireless MAC Filter to deny that client from the chosen band.

However, if you are using DFS channels and the router gets hit by RADAR the 5 GHz will go down and that client will loose connection. Much better to use SmartConnect and let the clients choose what is best for them.

@bbunge, he's already tried running the defaults. They're not working as he wants them to.

I have a room that gets more bandwidth thru 5ghz over 2.4ghz. but smart connect keep assigning my phone to the 2.4ghz band.

After much experimentation over time on different neworks, my preferred results are with Smart Connect (and Roaming Assistant) disabled.

On some networks, all wireless clients behave well using same SSIDs... and the owners typically prefer seeing/using 'one' SSID.

On one network, a Smart TV insists on connecting to the 2.4 SSID... probably due to some quirk with the WiFi signal/path... or maybe the TV adapter is just not that smart. Solution is to use different SSIDs and only connect the TV client to the preferred band/SSID.

I suggest you experiment with SC disabled and same SSIDs. If a critical client connects to the 'wrong' band (TV media needed to be on 5G), then define different SSIDs. (Allow time for clients to settle... some may eventually reconnect to the preferred/better band, perhaps after being rebooted.)

For example, I start with 2.4/5.0 same SSIDs, OE/OE. If necessary to manually band steer/segregate clients, I switch to different SSIDs, OE-24/OE, and only connect clients to the preferred band/SSID... but still use same SSIDs on the 2.4/5.0 guest networks to keep it simple for guests (tip: if using AiMesh, use guest1 WLANs; otherwise for a standalone router, use guest2 WLANs). Smart Connect remains disabled.

OE

Last edited:

Most clients prefer 5Ghz automatically nowadays. Smart Connect is just some trickery/hack to try and force the clients that don't do this to move, but it is by no means a sure thing. I don't agree with using wireless MAC filter as I've seen that cause long delays in some clients connecting and wifi cameras that only try to connect for a couple seconds give up and never send the video (plus you want to be able to fail back to 2.4 when needed). Some devices work fine with this solution but my recommendation is to have your main LAN use the same SSID on both bands, then set up a Guest network (leave intranet access enabled) with two different SSIDs for devices you want to force to be "sticky". That way you have the ability to use one SSID with automatic band switching, and the others for when you want to lock something in.

Even when using two SSIDs many (but not all) clients let you connect to both and put the 5Ghz one higher in the list, then it will fail to the 2.4 when out of range. Unfortunately that can actually have the opposite effect, clients can end up being too sticky and not switching as soon as they should, leaving you on a worse performing 5Ghz connection when 2.4 would be better. Just because 5ghz signal is visible, doesn't mean it is usable or faster than 2.4.

I have the same SSID on both bands inside, and a 2.4ghz external AP with the same SSID. My phone roams between the 3 fine and always jumps back to 5ghz when inside. Same with laptop (though I do have windows set to "max" on roaming aggressiveness as sometimes it would stick to the outside one).

Thanks for all the opinions.

I changed RSSI parameters in the Smart connect rule. I think this suite my want that 5ghz will be prioritized

Now I'm wondering if getting a low 5ghz signal will drain my smartphone battery faster on idle.
Screenshot_20230104-141704_Pixel Launcher.png

Thanks for all the opinions.

I changed RSSI parameters in the Smart connect rule. I think this suite my want that 5ghz will be prioritized

Now I'm wondering if getting a low 5ghz signal will drain my smartphone battery faster on idle.View attachment 46908

I don't use AiMESH but I believe those RSSI thresholds just tell it when to boot the client to another node, not between frequencies. I.e. I think the frequencies are independent of each other. Though I guess if you booted someone off 2.4 they could theoretically reconnect to 5ghz, but since 5g has lower perceived signal strength anyway, if the client prefers 2.4 it will just keep trying to reconnect to 2.4.....