What's new

Asuswrt - VPN server - IPsec - doesn't save after hitting apply (86U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slamdunk

Occasional Visitor
Is there any one on here using the VPN server function on their Asus router?

I have an 86u and wanted to turn on VPN server to access my home network away from home.

Looks like IPSec *should* be the one to use and followed the guide from Asus to get up and running

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033574

The router config page just doesn't save anything I put into the screen. If I don't fill certain sections in then it complains (as expected) but if I complete it all properly it spends a bit of time applying the settings then, when it refreshes, the users and preshared key are all wiped and it shows as attached.

r/ASUS - [SUPPORT] Asuswrt - VPN server - IPsec - doesn't save after hitting apply (86U)
The stupid thing is I can't even then click apply at that point as "fields cannot be blank"

Any ideas if I am missing something?

Attachments

• Asus VPN.jpg
    Asus VPN.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 288
Is there any one on here using the VPN server function on their Asus router?

I have an 86u and wanted to turn on VPN server to access my home network away from home.

Looks like IPSec *should* be the one to use and followed the guide from Asus to get up and running

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033574

The router config page just doesn't save anything I put into the screen. If I don't fill certain sections in then it complains (as expected) but if I complete it all properly it spends a bit of time applying the settings then, when it refreshes, the users and preshared key are all wiped and it shows as attached.

r/ASUS - [SUPPORT] Asuswrt - VPN server - IPsec - doesn't save after hitting apply (86U)'t save after hitting apply (86U)
The stupid thing is I can't even then click apply at that point as "fields cannot be blank"

Any ideas if I am missing something?
Had no problems with using OpenVPN server.
Make sure you upgrade to the latest Asus firmware then reboot for good measure.

Thanks for the feedback

I tried OpenVPN and got the same problem - after applying the changes (usernames etc...) it doesn't retain the information but leaves the server active.

Firmware all up to date and have rebooted to be sure

Very odd as I am able to work with other settings on the router no problem

Thanks for the feedback

I tried OpenVPN and got the same problem - after applying the changes (usernames etc...) it doesn't retain the information but leaves the server active.

Firmware all up to date and have rebooted to be sure

Very odd as I am able to work with other settings on the router no problem
You might have an issue with the /jffs partition. Asus did a resize of the /jffs on a recent firmware upgrade. With Merlin firmware one can format the /jffs. Not quite sure how to do it with stock Asus. Might try a factory reset using the WPS button method: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078
Then do a manual configure. Yes, it is a PITA but it worked for me.

Thanks for your insight

I had found it might be something like this by reading on the Merlin forums but seems like a massive failure from Asus to mess up their own firmware/space available.

I haven't been able to find a way to wipe the JFFS if you haven't got Merlin so looks like I need to be patient for a time when I can factory reset without and put everything back together or Asus fix it their end

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!