What's new

At&t Fiber Questions.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pinkfloyd1173

So I have At&t fiber 1 gig. I have been using the Dumb switch method for about a year or so, bypassing the att gw. Well the only bad thing about that is if you have a power outage and then you have to restart every thing back up.

I recently watched a video on how to use my own asus router behind the att gw with no issues like double nat. I purchsed a block of ip address from att and set every thing up, took a bit of figuring thinks out. The video he posted was messing extra steps for this to work with my router.

My router now has a public ip and seems to be working fine, getting my full internet speeds that I pay for. Trying to use your own router with any att gw, pretty much sucks butt, their process is broken on there routers.

So was wondering if what I am doing using the ip address that I bought is correct way of doing this or should I go back to the dumb switch method.

Here is the video I watched on yt, dont know if this will cause issues with gaming or other stuff on the net, seems to be working fine.

Thanks in advance.

So, what is the 'dumb switch' method that you didn't have to pay anything for? :)

Well L&D

You have to have a managed switch, Att cat 5 cable to switch, cat 5 cable from switch to att gateway, let the gw authorize the signal. After the signal is authorized then you unplug the cable and plug it into your wan port on your router, and thats pretty much it.

Oh I forgot you have to clone the att gateway mac address to your router.

Everything has to be turned off, and follow the steps.

Easily worth saving $15 per month to me. :)

Not to mention that you could probably use the method in the first post too without paying extra for it?

Good point, but if the shirt goes down when I am not here and the wifey wants internet. It will not happen she and the kids will loose it, lol. It has happened before, lol.

An easy solution to that too: UPS! :)

Yeah thats sounds like a good idea. Will look into that.

On the DSLreports forum on ATT fiber, the techs there have said changes are coming to the system infrastructure that will make anything but their supplied gateway a paperweight.

On the DSLreports forum on ATT fiber, the techs there have said changes are coming to the system infrastructure that will make anything but their supplied gateway a paperweight.

Yeah been watching that thread myself. I believe it's true. changes are coming and the awesome bypass may end. :oops:

On the other hand new gateways are also coming and i have had good luck with IP Pass on the BGW-210.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!