What's new

AT&T Gateway Bypass

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beefjerky

Occasional Visitor
Long story short, AT&T's gateway for their Gigapower service stinks, and their service requires their gateway to authenticate via 802.1x to use the service. I'm currently using a smart switch with VLANs to bypass it (and the WAN MAC cloned from their gateway), but it does require manual intervention should re-authentication be needed. However, it seems that there are ways to have the authentication packets forwarded with certain routers and software, and am wondering if this could be done with Merlin's firmware and scripting. I have very little knowledge of scripting, so I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than me could help with this.

Here is the main thread on DSLR with a whole lot of information about the situation at hand
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29903721-AT-T-Residential-Gateway-Bypass-True-bridge-mode

Here's someone's code for a Debian/Ubuntu router
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30708210-

There is whole lot more info in that thread, and a lot of it I don't necessarily understand or know if it would even be relevant to having it work on an Asus router.

For my setup, I currently have an AC66U, but am about to upgrade to an AC3100. I know ports use different names depending on the router, so I'd hope we could have a script for both routers.

Anyway, I know this might not be an easy undertaking, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I just ran a DMZ through the ATT gateway into my AC68U and that seems to be working well. Granted I don't have Gigapower, but I would think their gateway would offer I similar option.

I just ran a DMZ through the ATT gateway into my AC68U and that seems to be working well. Granted I don't have Gigapower, but I would think their gateway would offer I similar option.
It does technically offer DMZ+, but it has issues with passing certain types of traffic; at least the Pace 5268AC does. For example, it will block all NTP packets, so none of my devices can sync their time. That's why I am bypassing it. I'm still hoping someone can come up with a way to implement a script that will work with the Asus router that will be automatic, rather than the manual way I'm doing it now.

I have tried this exact thing. I have At&t gigapower. I couldn't get this to work with the Pace 5268AC. It could have very well been on my end though... I am attempting to use my old Linksys wrt320n (DD-wrt) as the switch. I could never get the VLAN's to connect.

I'd love to see if we can get this to work directly through Asus router, instead of dealing with another switch to bypass and then connect to router(I have Asus RT-AC1900p)

@beefjerky , did you get this to work with the Pace gateway? that document you linked seems to work for the NVG5XX.,

I have tried this exact thing. I have At&t gigapower. I couldn't get this to work with the Pace 5268AC. It could have very well been on my end though... I am attempting to use my old Linksys wrt320n (DD-wrt) as the switch. I could never get the VLAN's to connect.

I'd love to see if we can get this to work directly through Asus router, instead of dealing with another switch to bypass and then connect to router(I have Asus RT-AC1900p)

@beefjerky , did you get this to work with the Pace gateway? that document you linked seems to work for the NVG5XX.,
I am doing the VLAN switch with a TP-Link easy smart switch, and can confirm it works fine that way. I have not found a way to do it with the Asus yet, but hope someone with more scripting experience may be able to help.